Is Restylane preferred for eliminating acne scarring by injecting scarred tissue and smoothing the affected facial area? (Photo)

I went for consult for a TCA Peel but was told that wouldnt remove the peaks and valleys of the scarred skin. The Restylane would need to be a yearly event, initial 4 syringes about $2100 vs. the $900 TCA Peel. Credential only say MD Cosmetic Surgery. Im concerned of the yearly price cost as opposed to a, one or two time, peel? He says scars go thru the skin to the bone and cant eliminate them? Ive seen peel videos that showed significant improvement? Have I been given false info?

Acne Scarring -- Requires a Combination of Fractional Laser Resurfacing, Fillers Like Bellafill, Subcision and Eclipse Micropen

I like bellafill or silicone for long term acne scarring but this is in combination with lasers, microneedling, TCA cross, and subcision.  Rarely do I do one treatment alone , the combination gives long term permanent improvement.  Please only see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Combination approach best for acne scarring

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. For acne scars (difficult to treat) a combination of Erbium laser skin resurfacing and PRP with Microneedling is very effective at eliminating acne scars. Make an appointment for consultation with an experienced facial surgeon who can discuss best treatment options. Good luck.

Acne scars

it is correct that a tca peel will not help this but there are methods that will basically a combination of releasing the scar tissue underneath called subcision and then filling material. if the scars are ice pick they will need to be surgically removed and perhaps a graft inserted into each. I am concerned that you MD says only he is a cosmetic surgeon as there is really no such medical board. be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon 

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Restylane for Acne scar

Thank you for your question.  For severe acne scars, I am usually using combination of procedures including fillers such as Restylane and energy devices such as CO2 laser, Venus Viva (radiofrequency fractionated), Profound (radiofrequency microneedling).  In addition, I do find peels or microchanneling procedures can help. 
I also find that if I am using Restylane, it lasts much longer for acne scars and I use less the second time than the first.

Acne scars and Restylane Injections

Acne scars can best be treated with a combination of lasers such as Fraxel, eMatrix and chemical peels, and Restylane injections.  A combination approach would be best. 

Deep acne scar treatment

For deep, wide acne scars treatment is focused on elevating the depressed tissue. This can be done using subcision (releasing the tethers that draw down the skin) and adding a SUBdermal filler under the depressed skin. Such fillers include Radiesse, Juvederm Voluma, Restylane Lyft, and autologous fat transfer. 

Treatments that help more superficial scars are not as helpful for the correction of wide, deep scars, although laser resurfacing can tighten the skin and reduce the appearance of the depressed scars and often works well in combination with one of the above procedures. 

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon