Which would you recommend; Lipo or kybella?

My main concern is saggy skin after Lipo under my chin, I really want to get rid of my double chin already have date for lipo..but just heard about kybella .. Would kybella give a less risk for saggy skin? Thank you and appreciate you're answers a lot

Kybella

Neither technique is facile for getting rid of excess skin which can only really be accomplished with a necklift surgical procedure.  Both procedures however are ideally suited for removing fat.

Kybella or liposuction?

This really depends on your age and skin elasticity.  Both isolated lipo and Kybella can leave you with the sagging skin issue when performed in "older" patients and/ or patients with poor skin elasticity.  Without examining you it's impossible to determine the qualities of your skin.  

So, while the risk is there either way, the best way to prevent it is to be sure you are an ideal candidate.  It's best to see a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon regarding your concern since we do both surgical and non-surgical procedures and can impartially guide you in the right direction. Good luck!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

I like Kybella because with 1-2 treatments you can have a dramatic response with no downtime.  I recently shared a video about Kybella on the web.  I am impressed with the results thus far.

Liposuction vs. Kybella

Without seeing you in person, impossible to give you any kind of truly accurate recombination. Both liposuction and Kybella address fat. Neither will address lax skin. Some patients experience a mild tightening of the skin in the treatment area following Kybella but without knowing what you like, impossible to say whether or not it would be enough for you.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Saggy skin does not improve after liposuction, it gets worse.  The best treatment for saggy skin is a facelift.  The surprise for me with Kybella is that we are seeing some tightening of the skin, and results that are "good enough" for many patients who would not do well with liposuction.  You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with both.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Skin laxity and Kybella

Thank you for your question. Both Kybella and liposuction are focused on reducing the amount of volume in the double chin and neck region. Neither are primary reasons why you might seek a skin tightening procedure. If you have mild to moderate laxity in the neck, then combining Kybella with a tightening procedure may be an reasonable option. One alternative is the Profound subQ which both reduces the fatty tissue and tightens the neck.  I would recommend that you visit a board-certified plastic surgeon who has several non-surgical alternatives, so you can truly find the best option that meets your needs and goals.

Treatments for a double chin.

Thank you for your question. It really depends how your chin looks. Most of my patients like Kybella, but I have had patients opt for SmartLipo (an advanced version of liposuction). You can even try SmartLipo first and then get Kybella afterward. You should speak with your doctor during your in-person consultation so that the best treatment for your chin can be chosen.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella vs Liposuction

Without examining you in person this is a very difficult question to answer. I would need to see how much fat accumulation you have under your chin and how elastic your skin is to give you the best answer. In your question you seem very concerned about extra saggy skin after the procedure, so perhaps you should look more into a neck lift procedure as well. I recommend calling your surgeon and asking him if you are a candidate for Kybella now before your surgery. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Kybella versus Liposuction

Liposuction is a one-time surgical procedure that requires some element of downtime. Kybella is an injectable agent that dissolves the fat cells and requires around 2-3 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart. The downtime with Kybella is very minimal with no real disruption in daily activities.
It really depends on the extent of fat in the neck because Kybella is particularly effective at treating the submental fat pad. If it is more extensive than that, you may benefit from liposuction to target all the areas at one time.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella versus Lipo

Kybella is an amazing technique that is non-surgical and is often preferred to an invasive and painful procedure like Liposuction.  Studies of Kybella have shown that it also tightens up the skin under the neck at the same time as it destroys the fat. I often combine Kybella with Thermage for tightening up the skin under the neck and jowls.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green