Large pubic area on women. Any suggestions?

I'm 21 and I'm 4'11. I've always noticed my pubic bone is very large compared to other girls. It sticks out a lot. I weigh 124, the most I've ever weighed was 130. The smallest I've ever weighed is 109. Either way, I always have this bone sticking out. Is it normal? Is there surgery for this? If so, how common is it for women to do surgery on this area? And does it affect trying to convince in the future?

Doctor Answers 6

Suggestions for Large Pubic Area

Thank you very much for your question. However, without an in-person examination, it is impossible to adequately assess your situation. The best course of action will depend on your individual body. My recommendation is to schedule an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon, who can then explain the best options for your individual needs.

Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Pubic Reduction Surgery Options

Excess fullness of the Pubic mound, or Mons Pubis,  can be caused by weight gain, pregnancy  or genetics. Excess weight or weight loss can lead to drooping or ptosis. These can be treated by one or a combination of liposuction, excision and lifting.  This will provide a flatter more youthful appearance with less excess bulge and drooping in this area.  The region will look much better both in and out of clothing. These pubic treatments are frequently performed with abdominoplasty. All of these options could be discussed with a surgeon in consultation, to find out what you would be able to complete toward the desired results. Best of luck!

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Large pubic area?

The shape of the mons pubis is influenced by the shape and angle of the pubic bone and by the quantity of fat that sits on the bone. Usually, a prominent mons pubis is the product of excess fat. If the fat is firm and the skin is tight, liposuction is usually effective at reducing it. If the area is full, but very loose, then a mons pubis lift might give a better result. It doesn't affect fertility or pregnancy in any way.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Large pubic area on women. Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Without seeing a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice so I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon who can give you the best treatment advice based on an in-person examination.  

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Treatment for "large pubic area"

If you pubic area is prominent because of fat accumulation then liposuction typically remedies the problem nicely. If it is because of a prominent pubic bone or tilt of the bone then nothing can be done. I recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that can next examine this area to confirm one or the other. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 118 reviews

Mons pubis lipodystrophy or pubic bone prominence

Dear S:
Thank you for sharing.  If what you have fat in this area then a mons pubis reduction is in order if you don't like the fatty area BUT this does not sound like you are talking about fatty deposits.  You sound assured that your condition is a boney prominence.  If it is fat you can have a mons pubis reduction  by liposuction if is bone I have heard of some people suggesting  bone shaving but have never actually seen a patient who has had it.  
If it truly is a boney prominence I have heard of people suggesting a plumping this area with fat transfer to smooth and contour the area so the bone is not so prominent ...........but I doubt I would suggest this as it will then make your area even more prominent with the newly inject fat in this area.
Thanks of the question and I am sorry that I can NOT be of more help
John R Miklos  MD

Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.