Concerned about lumps/bumps/indention asymmetry. What are my options? (Photo)

I underwent the procedure at the beginning of this month July 6th. Today is the 29th so I'm on my 4th week. I'm concerned that the indent on right pec is going to be permanent. There is some firmness underneath it I just started to mildly massage it yesterday evening. I'm curious what I can do to help minimize this appearance of the indent.

Concerned about Lumps, Bumps, Indention and Asymmetry

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. It's possible that any indentations in the future, may be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Concerned about lumps/bumps/indention asymmetry. What are my options?

It can take a few months see the final results of a surgery. It is still early in your healing process. It is a good idea to continue to massage the area as instructed by your plastic surgeon. Continue to monitor your results and keep your plastic surgeon aware of your progress. Give it some more time to heal before you expect the final result. Best of luck

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Early Post Operative Healing

Hi zamchr,

Thanks for the post and photos. You are still relatively early in the healing process and will continue to see changes over the next few months. As for the contour abnormality under the right chest, this could be due to scar tethering or scar formation. Massage and stretching exercises can help with this as it will aid in the skin re-draping. The first 3 months after surgery is when there is the most inflammation but it should subside. I recommend contacting your plastic surgeon for more specific recommendations.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Healing

looks like you are healing ok overall.  I see the dent on the right but this can still be part of the healing process.  Massage the area and wait it out a few more weeks.  It should start to resolve.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon