Unable to keep my eyes closed fully after underlid injections 5 months ago.

Opthamologist says it's dry eye syndrome. Can you please advise me. The opthamologist I saw says I have dry eye syndrome and that's the reason my eyes aren't staying closed not the botox. But she won't tell me what's caused it or how long it may last. It's been really messing with my sleep so any advice on possible causes, treatment or prognosis would be very welcome. Or if her diagnosis is wonky and I should get a second opinion.

There is no substitute for a personal examination.

At 5 months the botox should be gone.  If the dry eye is directly related to weakening of the muscle from the botox, it should resolve over the next couple of months if one allows for fading of muscle atrophy after botox treatment.  If the dry eye does not resolve in this time frame, a second opinion with a knowledgable oculofacial surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry eye syndrome

The effect of Botox should be minimal after 5 months of injection. At the same time you're unable to close your eyes which can be the cause of dry eyes. I would recommend you to have a second consult with another eye doctor. 

Dry eye syndrome

When unable to close your lids

you need an evaluation.  Botox given 5 months ago is gone... and not the cause of this.  Your OPH said dry eye syndrome but did you ask why your lids did not close?  If not, you should go back specifically for evaluation of your lid function.

When unable to close your lids

Unable to close my eyes while sleeping.

This is not uncommon.  It can be caused by anatomic variances, aging, surgery, injury, and wrinkle-blockers (e.g. Botox, which usually only last 3-4 months).  I would suggest a thick gel-type drop at night (e.g. Systane or Genteal).  Further, some patients will wear moisture goggles at night (can google them or search on amazon).  Avoid use of a fan blowing on your eyes at night, and try a humidifier in your room as well.  Usually this will not cause eye damage, but can be uncomfortable.  Rarely, however, it can cause some inferior corneal scarring and chronic redness.  Stay in touch with your ophthalmologist.  Best regards.  

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unable to close my eyes while sleeping.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon