After under lid Botox injections I can't close my eyes fully. It's been 5 months now. What's the worst case scenario?

Botox Results and Inability To Close Eyes

Botox doesn't last 5 months, so if there are issues with your eyes, please see a neurologist and/or ophthalmologist for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox side effects

Thank you for your question gildi67. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It is difficult to make an assessment without knowing where the Botox was placed and how many units are injected. For my patients who desire a more open eye, I place one unit of Botox directly under the middle of each eye. If the placement or dosage is incorrect, it can be difficult to close the eyes and the eyes may get dry. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 months. If such side effects persist, there may be something else going on. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox

Hmmmm.... seems a bit odd.  Botox routinely lasts 3 to 4 months and rarely do I have a patient with an effect past 5 months.  Botox is not a permanent treatment so any effect related to the Botox should go away.  Speak to your injector and follow with them on a scheduled basis.  If this continues past 6 months then I would recommend seeing an Oculoplastic Surgeon for proper evaluation and diagnosis as to the source.  Hope this helps

J. Wethe, MD

James D. Wethe, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Botox results

Sorry to hear about your Botox experience. The Botox will wear off. It usually takes 3-4 months but can take up to 6 months. Undereye Botox injections require advanced injection knowledge and technique and so should only be performed by an expert.

Botox in lower lid, can't close eye now

This will resolve, all Botox injections resolve. I don't know why it has taken so long but it should improve soon. This injection should only be done by an expert and only in the proper candidate. A snap test should be performed in all patients prior to injection in this area. This test the tension in the lower eyelid. If it is slow to retract, you are not a candidate for the injection.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Cant close eyes 5 months after Botox

It doesn't quite make sense.  Botox doesn't really last that long around the eyes and that is not a usual side effect of the treatment.  How old are you?  Have you had any surgical procedures around the eyes (eg Blepharoplasty, forehead lift, etc)?  Are there any other medical issues?  I would consider being evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon to get a second opinion.  Good luck.

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon