Is steroids injection under eye to get rid of Artefill safe? (photos)

Artefill injected under eyelid a year ago Results were bad! I had bigger fat bags under eye and lumps/bumps. End up having lower eyelid surgery on both eyes. Now left with lumps/bumps right under my lower eye from artefill it bothers me on daily bases. Dr recommend injecting steroids to get rid of the hard lump. Is it safe?? Since it's so close to my eye? I can feel the Artefill each time that I blink. please help. I heard that it can thin the skin, cause scaring and some case loss of vision...

Artefill under the eyes

Hi Ana,

Thanks for your question and photos. I am sorry that you had a bad result. Bellafill or Artefill is a good filler IF it is placed by an experienced surgeon/injector. When placed superficially, it can lead to these kinds of results. Usually if a blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery is done, the filler can be removed at that time depending on what layer of skin it is located. Usually when I placed Bellafill, I place it right above the bone and below the skin which eliminates a lot of issues. I am not a fan of steroid injections unless the filler can be completely identified. It does thin the skin, change skin color and makes fat dissolve. If injected into a blood vessel, it can cause blindness. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@docmata @bellafill

Artefill Removal Around Eyes

It is safe if done by an expert injector. I suggest a formal consultation to determine what this is causing the reaction.  Best, Dr. Emer.