Can local anesthesia in another surgery affect your current implants?

I had my breast implants about a year and half ago. Everything was fine until I had to go under anesthesia again for a unrelated minor surgery (D&C). Now, the top part of my breast are lumpy and a bit painful. Could it be because of the anesthesia from the D&C surgery?

Painful implants after other minor procedure

Very sorry to hear that you are experiencing discomfort and "lumpiness" after your D&C!  Local anesthesia would likely not have contributed to your symptoms.  However, any procedure can allow bacteria into your blood stream and the capsule around the implant can become seeded, leading to potential capsular contracture, discomfort and distortion of your implants.  This is not usual, but has been known to happen.  

My best advice would be to see your plastic surgeon for an exam and potentially get imaging of your implants to try to determine what is happening.  I hope this helps and that you are feeling better soon.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia and breast implants

Any surgery can seed the blood stream with bacteria, and implants do not have a natural defense against bacteria.  Often antibiotics are used around the time of a surgery likely to produce bacteremia to prevent issues.  Be sure to consult your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Can anesthesia mess up implants

General anesthesia/local anesthesia given somewhere else should not affect your breast implants; I would have them checked up by a plastic surgeon.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Not sure the local anesthesia has much to do with it. Best to get a breast exam, along with imaging, to carefully evaluate the lump. Don't forget to see your operating/plastic surgeon as well. Good luck!

Local anesthesia causing lumps

I can think of no reason why a local anesthetic or even a surgical endeavor somewhere else in the body causing a lump to appear in the breast. I would recommend that you be evaluated by your plastic surgeon and/or a general surgeon for an evaluation with mammography and/or sonography. All changes in the breast that appear as masses lead to some suspicion of cancer and need to be evaluated seriously. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Anesthesia and breast implants

It is highly unlikely that local anesthesia had any impact on your breast implants. However, having lumps and pain in the top part of the breasts 1.5 years after surgery is not common or normal.

Lumps are always worrisome because they can be due to a multitude of things, some which are serious, some which are not. All new lumps should be treated with suspicion.

Lumps can start to develop due to significant capsular contracture in which case you require a capsulectomy, or even if a silicone implant has ruptured. If there was a rupture, and the parts of the implant broke off, it may feel like a lump and this may have to be diagnosed using an MRI.

The breast lump like the one you're describing could also possibly be a ripple in the implant shell that is appearing now because your breast skin is thinning allowing the implant to be palpable.

Alternatively, a less likely, it could be a benign or cancerous breast mass, and this is why every suspicious mass should be evaluated and properly biopsied.

Without pictures, and in-person exam, no conclusive diagnosis can be made.

Please visit a board-certified plastic surgeon, preferably your first surgeon who has your medical and family history, to have a breast evaluation, and if there is something suspicious, a mammogram may be needed. I urge you to not wait, and set up an in-person follow-up with your surgeon sooner than later.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD