Implant illness, removal, and fat transfer at 20 years old?

I got saline breast implants 2 years ago when I was 18. I was a small A and got 325 and 350cc and went to a D. I have since been dealing with autoimmune disorders. My Rheumatologist really wants me to get my implants removed. Since getting sick I lost 25lbs and am only 95lbs on a good day. Am I too skinny to get a fat transfer with my implant removal? I am scared of the unsightly post operative results. I already have horrible stretch marks all over my breasts. Saggy and deformed scares me.

Implant removal for rheumatoid arthritis

There are no studies that indicate that breast implants, especially saline implants cause rheumatoid arthritis or other autoimmune disease is. At your height and weight you have absolutely no fat to transfer  if the implants are removed.  In the worst case scenario you could have your implants removed but there is nothing else to take up the space  I would again discuss with your rheumatologist what his basis is for removing the implants. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Autoimmune disease and breast augmentation

there is no evidence that breast implants cause autoimmune disease. Also you are too thin to consider fat transfer to your breasts.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Your options are limited

and to the best of our knowledge, silicone does not cause autoimmune problems.  Yes, you can easily find a small group of doctors that will say there is a link but their 'proof' has many holes in it.  If you are convinced that your implants have some connection and are willing to go back to your pre-implant stage, have the removed but there is no guarantee you will feel better.  And as you alluded to earlier, you don't have extra fat to graft.

Curtis Wong, MD

Auto Immune Diseases And Breast Implants

Hello, There is no data that would support your doctor's recommendation to remove your breast implants.  Your breast augmentation and the onset of your an auto-immune disorder are coincident, and removing them will not make you suddenly better. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Sorry to hear about the problems caused by your autoimmune disorder. Unfortunately, based on your weight, you don't sound like you would be a good candidate for fat transfer to the breasts. In addition, there is no guarantee that your health will improve after removing your breast implants. An exam by your plastic surgeon will be the best way to predict how your breasts will look after implant removal. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD