Am I an ideal tummy tuck candidate? (Photo)

Can I expect the best possible results from a tummy tuck based on my shape and size? I gym a lot and have strong tummy muscles, I still need to loose 1 more stone for my ideal weight, I've seen some before and after pics that I personally wouldn't be happy with. It scares me I'll be one of them with even bigger or wonky hips.

You might be the best candidate EVER!!!

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients. Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside. Most times, those muscles don’t go exactly back to where they were before.Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results. It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house.

The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.

As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off? Hope this helps!

-JGH

You may be a great candidate for a tummy tuck.

Thanks for your question. Judging from your pictures, it looks like you could be a great candidate for a tummy tuck. As you mentioned, it’s recommended that you come as close as possible to your target weight before going ahead with the procedure. A tummy tuck could help to remove your excess skin and tighten up any loose muscle or tissue that may contribute to sagging skin. A board-certified plastic surgeon who has considerable experience doing tummy tucks should be able to offer you beautiful results. Good luck!

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Tummy tuck candidate?

The excess hanging tissue and stretch marks suggest that you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  Not all of the stretch marks can be removed by this surgery and your tattoo may be removed.  Good luck and see a board certified plastic surgeon

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Am I an ideal tummy tuck candidate?

Based on your photos you seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. Please consult with a board certfied plastic surgeon. For more information please click the link below. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Am I an ideal candidate for tummy tuck?

You appear to have abdominal skin laxity with stretch marks and a rectus muscle separation which is presumably from pregnancies. Also you seem to be in good physical condition and not over weight. Therefore, assuming you don't plan on having more children, I would say that you appear to be an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck with possibly some liposuction of the hip/ flank area. Best of luck!

Am I an ideal tummy tuck candidate?

From your photos, you do look like an excellent tummy tuck candidate. See a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you feel comfortable. Ask to see before and after photos.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Ideal Tummy Tuck Candidate

Hi there Getfit,

Yes you are an outstanding candidate for a tummy tuck.

Based on your photos, I don't think you need to lose more weight, I would be interested to know what you are basing that assumption on.

The benefits of a TT to you will be to tighten your skin, and remove the majority of your stretch marks. Those stretch marks remaining will be tighter and look better.

You may not even need a muscle tightening procedure, but that needs to be determined by examination.

The key for your TT will be to keep your scar low, so that it is hidden by underwear and bathers.

I suggest you make an appointment to see a plastic surgeon in your area who is experienced in TT. Go through the procedure with them and look at their pre and post operative photos and discuss with them the things you have seen in other surgeons work that you don't like.

Best wishes

Richard

You are the ideal candidate for a tummy tuck

You are the ideal candidate because you have an excess of lax, stretched out skin. You do not have a tremendous amount of internal abdominal fat. You have widening of the stomach muscles. You do not have a tremendous amount of external fat either. All of these things mean that you would most likely have a superb result in the right hands. Please see the accompanying video to better understand what goes into a tummy tuck, and why you are such a great candidate.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Am I an ideal tummy tuck candidate?

Based on your photos but without an examination, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas, including the hips. It is difficult to tell whether in fact you are a good candidate for those procedures without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children.

The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight.

If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery or If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Ideal candidate for a tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Yes you are an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. You should get an excellent result. One problem is that yiu won't get rid of all your stretch marks, they will be lower down on your,abdomen however. 2nd you may be left with a short vertical scar in the midline just above your pubis (from the incision around the belly button ).
All in all you should be very pleased with the results when done by a competent surgeon.
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon