How long to take off work if I don't want anyone knowing I had surgery?

Hi there im thinking of possibly getting cheek implants and possibly some chin shavings to reduce the size of my chin.... i dont want people knowing ive had surgery and want to know whats the best amount of time to take iff work... im really worried about the swelling and thats what i dont want people to see. Do you rekon 2 weeks is long enough for this kind of procedure? Thanks Xxx

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using cheek implants and chin implants for over 30 years.  The chin heals quickly when an incision is used under the chin and the small incision can easily be explained by saying that "you fell doing whatever sport or activity that people know you do".  The cheeks heal slower and the amount of swelling, bruising and recovery will depend a great deal on the experience of the surgeon.  I have my cheek implant patients take 7 to 10 days off from work, sleep on a U-shaped airline pillow for 1 month and refrain from strenuous activity for the same period of time.  Ice therapy to the cheeks helps decrease swelling and I have my cheek implant patients say "they had a root canal on one of their upper teeth".  These "casual explanations" have been found very useful by my patients over the past 30 years including actors, actresses, royalty, law enforcement, military and professional fighters.Hope this helps.

Recovery time after cheek implants and possible chin shaving

I do think that two weeks is enough time off of work after cheek implant surgery and possible chin shaving.  You still could have some minor swelling after two weeks, but it is not something that most people would notice.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visible swelling after cheek implants

In our practice, we tell patients they will have visible signs of swelling and bruising for two weeks after cheek implants or a chin implant procedure. It's important to stay off blood thinners such as aspirin and ibuprofen. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below

Cheek implants

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend waiting two weeks.  This will be enough time.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD