How do you know if your plastic surgeon has a lot of experience at filler injections?

Do you ask the staff, physician, or research this in some other manner?

Doctor Answers 9

Experience With Fillers, How Do you know?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I suggest looking at photos, speaking to staff, checking online reviews, and seeing if the physician uses cannulas and does fat injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello Justin.  My thought is to select a plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist that you feel comfortable with, one who is able to show you multiple before and after photos of patients with concerns similar to yours.

One resource to consider is the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  The website contains a resource of locate a facial plastic surgeon in your area.

Best wishes.

Dr. Shah

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expertise In Injecting Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The most important thing to know is, does the surgeon have the Experience, Expertise in injecting fillersand can they show you Exceptional results. This should be done in the hands of a properly trained Board Certified core cosmetic medicine physician such as a Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, Oculoplastic Surgeon, or Facial Plastic Surgeon. As with any operative procedure this requires significant understanding of the anatomy and precision while injecting. This is truly an art and science, just like surgery, and requires the talent and skill to reproduce excellent results in a safe manner.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Ask question. Look at their work.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think most patients are pretty good at sensing the experience of doctors. Always listen to that little voice that makes you feel uncomfortable. Another smart move it to look up to learn if the doctor is board certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties (in an appropriate specialty like dermatology or plastic surgery, as opposed to GYN, ER, etc). You do NOT want someone whose sole training was a weekend course. Finally, do ask to see the docotrs work and results. If they cannot show you lots of patients (and appropriate to your age and skin type) they are likely not an optimal choice to fill you.

Ask and check

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The most direct way to find the answer to your question is to ask the doctor directly if he or she does these injections regularly. Another way is to check the website of the company that produces the product. For example, Allergan, makers of Botox and Juvederm, list the doctors on their site in order of how much of their product they purchase. If your doctor is way, way down on the list it COULD be a sign that the doctor doesn't do a lot of those treatments. This isn't a sure fire way to find out, though, because some other factors may weigh into their position on the website.
Good luck!

Anthony Youn, MD, FACS
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

How do you know if your plastic surgeon has a lot of experience at filler injections?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would ask the receptionist over the phone and also the doc during the appointment. Make sure there are plenty of filler patient photos on their website. It's also helpful to find a physician trainer who is designated as an expert that teaches other physicians how to safely use these products. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experience with Filler Injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most aesthetic Dermatologists, Facial Plastic Surgeons, Plastic Surgeons, and Occuloplastic Surgeons otherwise known as core-trained specialists should have extensive knowledge and experience with fillers.  The real problem with filler experience comes with non core-trained Doctors (ER Doctors, OB Gyns, etc.).  Just ask your Plastic Surgeon about the volume of fillers performed in the practice.

Filler experience

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
My suggestion would be to ask the surgeon when you meet him or her. Also, see how much space they devote to the subject on their website and if they have any instructional video.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard to tell

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is hard to determine the filler experience of anyone and also in the particular area that you want treated. Some people may have tons of experience with filler but none near the eyelid or tear trough. You can get a general idea by asking the office when you call but to be honest, it is hard to get an exact number. Looking at online surveys or real self can be misleading. Ask a friend or someone you know who gets filler and that is probably the best method.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.