Why must I shed weight for TT and BBL? (Photo)

I am 5'2 weighing in at 185. Majority of my weight is in my breast and belly, due to c-section(Which is why I want TT). I posted a tummy pic and I was told to loose 20lbs before TT. I've noticed others who are much heavier than I am who were able to get TT. I am a bit confuse on why I need to shed weight for the TT. ive included the pics again as well as a pic i would like to get to.

Weight loss prior to surgery

Thank you for your question and your pictures. The request to lose an additional 20 lbs is likely to decrease the intra abdominal fat. Looking at your photos, it does not appear that you have a great deal of loose or hanging skin. Your abdomen is a bit protruding which suggests that the fat is around the intestines (intraabdominal) and not under the skin. Losing the weight will help shrink the intraabdominal fat and make the skin looser. The risk is misdiagnosing intraabdominal fat for fat under the skin. If this happens, in inexperienced hands, one risks not being able to close the incision because there is not enough loose skin to advance over the prominent abdomen.  A Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to explain this to you in detail.

Best Wishes,

Michael Morrissey, MD

Weight prior to surgery

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I cannot be certain why your plastic surgeon wants you to lose 20lbs prior to surgery.  Obviously, in most cases a little weight loss may improve the final results.  One thought may be that some of the abdominal fullness is caused by intra-abdominal fat which a tummy tuck cannot change.  Perhaps the 20lb weight loss request is to address this intra-abdominal fat.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hi and thanks for posting your pictures. You are over weight for you size (5'2) so is reasonable that your surgeon ask you to lose at least 20 pounds to perform surgery  for 2 main reasons :

1. To improve your  general health for  surgery, because obesity raise your  risks and possibility of  complications during or after surgery, and

2. To get the better results possible because loosing weight  will soften your abdomen and will let your surgeon to better tight (plicate) your abdominal rectus muscle  and remove as much skin as possible, to flatten it.

It is not a most but is desirable that you do it, if you can't then you may undergo surgery knowing these facts.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Losing weight before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.
On the other hand, I recommend you yo be treated by a board certified plastic surgeon, with special training in Plastic Surgery After Massive Weight Loss. Therefore, it will use different surgical techniques and special safety measures for ex- obese patients.
It's very important to make a preparation weeks or even months before the surgery, advising the patient to take certain measures that helps to have a successful surgery with very good results.
You only can perform multiple procedures at the same time if the blood work and pre-op cardiovascular evaluation are in optimal range that allows us to make a safe procedure.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Why must I shed weight for TT and BBL?

The key to long standing success is a stable weight. If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

You may be a fair candidate for surgery now but will get a much better result if  intra abdominal fat if lost first. A plastic surgeon can not remove this fat and it interferes with tightening of the abdominal muscles which creates a less the optimal result. I am sure someone would do your surgery tomorrow. It sounds like your doctor is looking out for you. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before TT

This is the preference or choice of the surgeon.We all have our little quirks so you may want to check out another surgeon and compare.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Loosing weight

At your current weight, your BMI is 34.  One rule of thumb is to be at a BMI of 30 or less to undergo an abdominoplasty.  This improves your chances of having a smooth recovery without wound healing complications.  At 165 lbs, your BMI would be 30 and you would meet this criteria.  

Why must I shed weight for TT and BBL?

Your results and decrease risks of complications are the main factors why weight reduction especially with high visceral fat amounts is better... Discuss with your chosen PS.. 

Tummy tuck, Lipo and BBL

Hello, Thanks for your question, always is good to lose some weight before a surgical procedure. because possible risks are diminished, in the case of a BBL there has to be some fat to harvest for doing the BBL procedure, based on your photos I can tell you that a 10 pound weight loss is recommended. The TT, Liposuction and BBL procedure lasts around 6 hours in the surgical room, it has recuperation time of 4 weeks, costs can vary from US$3,500-4,500.

Regards, Dr Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD