How do I know when I'm ready for a "tummy tuck"? (Photo)

I've lost over 100 pounds, my highest weight that I know of was 283 pounds. I am 5'3". I now weigh 170. I've been at this weight for a few months now. Everything I've read said that when you are at your goal weight that's when you should get it. If I did not have my extra "belly Apron" I am pretty sure I would be happy with my weight. My extra skin prevents me from buying clothes I like or feeling comfortable. I always have that pudge.

Tummy tuck after massive weight loss.

First and foremost: congratulations on your transformation! You should be very proud of yourself. I feel that you would be an excellent candidate for body contouring surgery after your massive weight loss. I generally recommend that people consider body contouring surgery (be it tummy tuck, body lift, etc.) after their weight has been stable for approximately 3 months. There are many other guidelines to follow. It is important to ensure that you're nutritionally sound and otherwise ready for surgery before proceeding. Your psychological and physical readiness is just as important as your surgeons expertise and experience with the procedure.

It is imperative that you seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in tummy tuck/abdominoplasty.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay.

Looks like you're ready for your tummy tuck. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who takes the time to properly examine and evaluate you and recommend the best treatment options for you (full tummy tuck vs. vertical tummy tuck vs. body lift). Good luck!

How do I know when I'm ready for a "tummy tuck"?

Congratulations on your weight loss. Always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. Therefore, based on your description, you may be ready now.
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

The right time to get tummy tuck

My general guidelines are that a patient actively losing weight needs to reach the goal weight and be stable for 4-6 months.  If you are at a weight you are happy with and the loose skin and belly apron is your only frustration then I'd say your ready to get your surgery.  Get several opinions from board certified plastic surgeons and go for it!  Best wishes.

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck timing after major weight loss

Congratulations on your 100+ pound weight loss - it is quite an accomplishment.  If you have reached a stable weight of 170lbs it should be reasonable to consider tummy tuck surgery at this time.  An experienced PS will be able to discuss the different options to improve the appearance of your abdomen/trunk area.

Am I ready for a Mommy makeover

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well. Wow this is amazing, congratulations in your weight loss. If you feel ok with your weight is time to star looking for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, to talk about your goals. Your body is going to improve a lot with a tummy tuck, because it will help removes excess fat and skin and, in most cases, restores weakened or separated muscles creating an abdominal profile that is smoother and firmer.

A flat and well-toned abdomen is something many of us strive for through exercise and weight control. Sometimes these methods cannot achieve our goals.

Even individuals of otherwise normal body weight and proportion can develop an abdomen that protrudes or is loose and sagging. The most common causes of this include:

• Aging
  • Heredity
  • Pregnancy
  • Prior surgery
  • Significant fluctuations in weight
Good luck and my best wishes :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thanks for your question and pictures.  Congratulations on the weight loss!  That is a wonderful accomplishment.  If your weight is stable and you are happy at that number, it is a good time to proceed with a tummy tuck.  You will get a very nice improvement with surgery.  Make sure you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and potential outcomes.

Naveen Setty, MD

Tummy tuck after large weight loss makes a big difference.

Hi sohappy101.  Thank you for sharing your photos and Congratulations on your transformation!  You are a candidate for a tummy tuck so that you can remove the extra skin & fat, and tighten your abdominal muscle wall. There are a variety of techniques that can only be selected after an in-person examination (scars that are just in the front, all around the body, up and down the middle, etc.), so be sure to consult an ABPS certified plastic surgeon that is experienced with large weight loss body contouring. You will feel more comfortable and your clothes will fit better. Best wishes,

Right moment for a tummy tuck

First of all, congratulations for the extremely good job done with your weight loss. At this stage, as long as you are not planning to get any slimmer, it would be appropriate to go ahead with a tummy tuck / body contouring procedure.
Make sure you contact a qualified surgeon near you, and enjoy the great improvement that the procedure will surely provide.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

TT candidate

Thanks for your question. It looks like you are at a point even now that you would really benefit from a tummy tuck. This will drastically improve your waistline and contour. It may spark you to lose additional weight down the road, and sometimes a small touch up to remove extra skin if that develops. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon