Can an ophthalmologist with no training and no board certification in surgery perform facelift?

While researching my Doctor credentials in the Florida Dep of Medical Quality Assurance I noticed that my Dr, had not surgical training and is no board certified, even that he claimed he is a Plastic Surgeon Board Certified in his website,

Can ophthalmologists perform facelifts?

Technically, any licensed physician (including providers such as family practitioners or ob/gyn physicians) can legally perform a facelift, so long as they do not misrepresent themselves to the patient.  But SHOULD they be doing it?  My opinion is absolutely not unless they have specific training in that. Their board certification should reflect it.  This is referred to as "performing within the scope of practice/expertise of a physician's training."  Some ophthalmologists have subspecialty training, and become certified in oculoplastic surgery (i.e. plastic surgery of the eyelids and brows), and are excellent at that.  Some may have gone for additional training to be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.  If they are not, I would advise moving on.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trust your face to a facial plastic surgeon

An ophthalmologist has been trained to treat diseases of the eyes and periorbita. You would be better served by having your face evaluated by a board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon who has training and expertise in facial rejuvenation procedures.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can he do it - Only if he has an uninformed patient!

In medicine almost anyone can do anything, but you are doing your research to find out if your doctor is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  In Florida, the T.I.M.E. law requires doctors to state their actual training.  If you feel he mislead you by his advertising etc., I would report this to the Board of Medicine in Tallahassee.

Report false advertising by a facelift surgeon to the medical board.

What you describe is certainly unethical and possibly illegal. You should report this to the medical board.

Thank you for the important question. Unfortunately, differentiating the credentials of the variety of physicians who wish to provide "cosmetic surgery" services, can be very confusing to patients. Also unfortunately, there is no strict regulation set up to protect the consumer by state or national medical regulatory organizations. Therefore, patients must take the responsibility to ask the question: what are you board-certified in?
The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board recognized by the American Board of medical specialties. Confirming that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of plastic surgeon is very important; this will assure you that your surgeon's undergone rigorous training, testing, and continued medical education necessary to become and remain board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are then potential candidates to join the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery. These societies will have lists of their plastic surgeon members; these lists may be helpful when patients are seeking a board-certified plastic surgeon. in the process of selecting a plastic surgery I also encourage patients to ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of careful selection of plastic surgeon when it comes to concerns such as safety, achievement of the desired outcome, and ability to manage complications that may arise (even in the best of hands). Keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Congratulations on doing your homework. You should only consider having a facelift by an experienced surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Go online and check the Smart Beauty Guide for a surgeon in your area.

Scope of practice

As the others in the post indicated, a doctor who is a "licensed physician" can do many things that are not necessarily within their scope of practice.  Hopefully, no tragedy or bad outcome will befall their patients.  Unfortunately, it seems it is this scenario that lends itself to the tragedies related in the media.  No surgeon is infallible or without complications, but it's best to not ask for trouble.  

There are a broad range of procedures that MD's are allowed to perform however as a customer you should seek the best and most qualified Facelift Surgeon that you can find.  I have performed Facelifts for over 25 years and frequently write on this subject.  The most important thing that a facelift must achieve is a naturally, more attractive face.  Merely tightening and removing skin does accomplish that goal.  The Facelift Surgeon must understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty in order to create a face that's youthful and more naturally attractive.  Hope this helps.

Can an ophthalmologist perform a face?

In most states any licensed medical doctor legally can perform any procedure he may want to  in his office as long as a patient agrees.  The same medical doctor would NOT be able to perform that same operation in a hospital unless he was board eligible or board-certified. To be on the safe side always pick a board certified practitioner certified in the type of surgery you are seeking.

David J. Goodkind, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Seek the best qualified person for your facial surgery.

With the number of fully trained and highly qualified board certified plastic surgeons to choose from, it would not be in your best interest to risk having your surgery done by anyone without these qualifications.  Contact the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a listing of surgeons in your area and have consultations with some of them until you find one who you feel comfortable with and whose before and after photos are to your liking.  This is your best chance for obtaining a safe, well performed surgery.