I have very fibro cystic breast. Is it wise to get implants. I'm a 36 D. More full at bottom then top. (photos)

Fibrocystic breasts

Hello,  implants are not necessarily contraindicated with fibrocystic breasts but you would need to discuss with your surgeon the potential impact on breast sensitivity, mammogram screening, and other possible risks.

Hi. Fibrous tic disease of the breasts occurs very frequently in women and is not a contraindication to insertion of a breast implant. Based on your limited photos, IMHO you need a traditional anchor lift w a submuscular placement of breast implants. My preference is silicone of the cohesive type. You should have a recent mammogram.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office, as in others, we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

good luck, Dr PG

I have very fibro cystic breast. Is it wise to get implants. I'm a 36 D. More full at bottom then top.

Hi,
Fibrocystic breasts is not a contraindication for breast augmentation surgery. You may opt to go with a small implant completely under the muscle (no dual plane) so it won't interfere with mammography or other imaging. But, honestly it looks like you just need a lift. If you are happy with your current volume and wish to regain upper pole fullness, you may be a candidate for The Ultimate Breast Lift method. The UBL method does not require breast implants and has eliminated the vertical scar component. Breasts are reshaped and re-positioned high on the chest wall and anchored securely to your chest muscles for long term results. I hope this helps.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Better set of photos is needed as well as physical exam. From a limited photo you have posted it appears that you might be a candidate for a breast lift. A smaller implant can be placed sub-muscular at the same time as a lift.  It should not affect the diagnostic imaging- such as mammograms, MRI, etc. Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam

Fibrocystic breasts and implants

Depending on your age and family history, no preoperative screening may be needed.  An implant does not affect your ability to get mammograms so it should not interfere with any cancer diagnosis.  A board certified PS can help guide you in this regard

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

You may only need a lift

From the picture that you are posting it appears that you may best benefit from only having a breast lift. Sometimes an implant is needed if you need increased size or fullness but if you are large to start out with you may be exceptionally happy with just a lift. Make sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a complete consultation. Good Luck.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Impolants with fibrocystic

It seems as though you are plenty big but you could get a lift and maybe that is all you needs.You could add some of your own fat to augment the breast instead of an implant.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

In my private practice I require a pre operative mammogram to have a documented baseline. Than 100% under the muscle placement is also a requirement. Best to see only private practice boarded PSs for your issues with fibrocystic breasts. Please DO NOT use "clinica" surgeons!!!

Getting a BA with fibrocystic breasts

Many women have breast surgery with fibrocystic breasts.  I would recommend that you are fully evaluated with your general breast surgeon and/or OB/GYN before proceeding with BA surgery.  A thorough history and examination is critical.  Imaging studies may also be indicated.  

Definitely make an in-person consultation with a ABPS board certified PS to evaluate you and discuss your options.
Hope that helps and best wishes!
Dr. Morales
ABPS Board Certified
Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD