Am I a good candidate for Liposuction? (photos)

I am a 19 year old college student who is extremely subconscious of my body. I gained quite a bit of weight during my high school year due to medical restrictions while I suffered from 3rd Degree AV Block. In the midst of my depression and lack of ability to play sports/work out, I put on about 50 pounds. In the past year, I have lost a total of 40 pounds; I now weigh approximately 178 pounds and stand about 5' 9". Is lipo a good option for me? How much should I expect to pay?

Hi. Your medical history is interesting and I hope your gear issues have been taken care of. Based on your photo, I feel you are a ferry good candidate for liposuction of the abdomen and the so called love handles. There are differences forms of liposuction and I suggest that you look into SAL, PAL, UAL, LAL. I perform PAL and have found that it's less traumatic to the patients. Research research and research. Make sure that the surgeon you sect is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeon and has done plenty of lipo on men. 

Price is relative and should never be used as your deciding factor. Never settle for less. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. when selecting your surgeon, research, research and then research some more. The key is............ does the surgeon have a keen sense of aesthetics? Can he/she create an attractive figure or are they just technicians that wind up with large unshapely forms? Understand that liposuction whether SAL, PAL or UAL ( not including LAL because the fat obtained through this technique will not be useful) is not that technically challenging. However, the keen aesthetic eye will determine the eventual work of art.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction and fat transfers. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck, Dr PG

Is lipo a good choice

It is a little difficult to judge from your photograph but is does not appear that you have any stretch marks or skin damage from your previous weight gain. With that being said and that the fact that the amount of fat being removed would be well within the acceptable range I think you would be a good candidate for liposuction. Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck.

Stephen Lovich, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after weight loss

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• First, I am glad your cardiac condition is better - sounds like a hard time.
  • Congratulations on losing most of your weight.
  • Are you at your goal weight or are you planning to lose the remaining 10 pounds?
  • If you are going to lose weight - postpone any liposuction because weight loss is free and results are usually better than liposuction.
  • BUT if your weight is where you intend to stay, you can have liposuction -
  • The cost will depend on what you want done - just the flanks, for instance or the abdomen as well.
  • I suggest you consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a full exam and plan for what you would like done.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Candidate for liposuction?

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on losing 40 pounds!  That is no easy task. You are clearly getting back into shape. I would strongly encourage you to continue with your fitness program. Based on your level of determination, current appearance and age, you should be able to reach her goals without liposuction. I would also be concerned about your increased risk during anesthesia from your heart block. Best of luck 

Michael J. Denk, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Can I have liposuction?

As long as you're healthy and your cardiologist clears you for surgery, you would get a good result. As far as the cost of the procedure, each practice has their own way of quoting surgery so an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is best.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your picture!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Liposuction?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and all the provided information as well. Congratulation. If you are planning to lose more weight I recommend to wait a little bit and see if you really need the procedure done. I also recommend to visit a board certified plastic surgeon to talk about your goals and for a person evaluation. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Am I a good candidate for Liposuction?

Thank you for your questions and photograph and congratulations on your weight loss.  As long as your are cleared by your cardiologist you would be an excellent candidate for liposuction of the more diet and exercise resistant areas of the male physique - stomach, love handles, and flanks.  As always it is best to reach your desired goal weight before surgery.  This weight should be one that you are comfortable at and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will alter your results.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. 

Yes you are but ONLY with a written Cardiac Clearance. 3 to 4 liters removal of fat can be expected in an office surgery under light general anesthesia + tumescence. Fees from $5,000. 

Good candidate for liposuction.

From the photograph provided it looks as though you would be a good candidate for liposuction of the flank, upper abdomen, and lower abdomen. This can be done with oral sedation and tumescent anesthesia. Expect to pay $4000-$5000.

Lipo good answer

After looking at your photos I think lipo would for sure be a good option especially for your flanks.This is a tough area to loose weight from.Maybe your abdomen as well.The cost depends on how many areas you have suctioned.There is a new technology called SculpSure.Check it out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon