What can be done about a botched rhinoplasty revision? (Photos)

Hi. I had my first rhinoplasty done about 3 1/2 years ago to remove a bump. A year later, I still had a minor bump, so I got a revision to only fix this very minor bump. Though we had ONLY discussed this VERY minor change, the tip of my nose was changed during the surgery. 2 1/2 years later, here are my results. The tip is noticeably uneven and too turned up for my taste. I really liked my nose before minus the itty bitty bump. What can be done about this? I am REALLY hoping for some good news.

Seems to me that your nose can be improved. See the morph I made

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_awingerson.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

One of the problems with your nose, as with many revision noses that I see, is that the tip of the nose is still too strongly forward projecting away from your face. In the morph, the main change that I made was to bring the tip of your nose back closer to your face. Making that change alone usually makes the nose look longer. I'd be interested to hear what you think of that morph.

Then, during surgery, we see what more can be done to lengthen the nose, or at least bring it into a range that you're more comfortable with. In particular, don't let a surgeon recommend that the bridge of your nose be built up. I think that'd be a big mistake. The problem is not that the bridge is weak, but rather that the tip projects out so far beyond the bridge.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon