Can Mona Lisa Touch help Interstitial Cystitis Symptoms?

Will MLT help the urgency and burning from IC?

Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation and Interstitial Cystitis.

I have seen some patients that have had irritative voiding symptoms and pelvic discomfort associated with the diagnosis of interstitial cystitis improve with laser vaginal rejuvenation when done for atrophy.  There are no studies that support this as a routine treatment in this scenario, just anecdotal experience.

Scottsdale Urologist

MonaLisa Touch in Interstitial Cystitis Patients

Anecdotally, I have had several IC patients report improvement in overall symptoms after treatment with the MonaLisa.  IC symptoms tend to be multifactorial and the more symptoms that you can chip away, the more likely  a patient will begin to experience improvement.  I would not sign up for a laser vaginal rejuvenation procedure unless you have vaginal discomfort, most often due to vaginal atrophy.  If these symptoms are contributing to overall discomfort, then I think the MonaLisa is great to try.  If not, then it is unlikely the MonaLisa would help you and I would recommend you avoid buyer's remorse.
On another note, many IC patients also have vulvodynia.  There is some data on the use of CO2 and YAG lasers for treatment.  I have treated a few patients with the external MonaLisa probe and seen improvement.  
Mary C. DuPont, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Mary C. DuPont, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Urologist

Can the MonaLisa Touch laser help with symptoms of Interstitial Cystitis?

Interstitial cystits/painful bladder syndrome symptoms can be flared up by other things going on the pelvic area.  For example, a bladder infection, vaginal infection, painful intercourse due to dryness or a flare up of lichen sclerosis.  If you have vaginal atrophy I would recommend calming things down to reduce the overall "nociceptive windup" in the pelvis area. So to answer your question directly, I do not think that the laser will help your IC/PBS directly, but it might help reduce chances of flare and general pelvic irritation.  I have a number of IC/PBS patients that have benefited from the MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser.  I have not seen an IC flare up after the laser either which is an extra bonus!

NO - MonaLisa touch won't help with IC

Hello Ajsimons,
You should be seen by a specialist familiar with IC and voiding dysfunction to help you with your chronic condition. Aside from the traditional treatments for IC I have had patients report excellent reduction of their symptoms with PRP injection to the urethra at the time of an O-Shot.
See link below for information on IC and other urogynecology conditions.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

IC help?

Hi and thanks for submitting your question, unfortunately a laser that directly deals with the superficial vaginal epithelium would do very little for the bladder. 

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN

IC helped?

around the world it is being used for this complex--anecdotal with no studies (read no % improvement known). We await any proven value (remember, we do not even know what makes you worse!). I cannot see how superficial vaginal membrane treatment could improve an organ that is not hit by laser.

NO vaginal laser treats interstitial cystitis

Laser vaginal resurfacing only affects the tissues directly treated with laser energy. The MonaLisa and FemiLift devices are not designed to go into the bladder and have no effect of bladder pain syndromes.