15 days post-op. Am I out of the woods for nipple necrosis?

I'm 15 days post op from breast reduction, no signs of infection, both nipples have sensation. Am I out of the woods for nipple necrosis?

Nipple necrosis

I would say that it would be highly unlikely for you to have nipple necrosis at this stage of the game after a reduction. Best of luck.

Safe

Yes if you have refill in your nipple areola complex and you have sensation then all is well. You are best to post photos for an informed opinion but I am sure all is fine. Keep in touch with your PS as often we like to reassure our patients personally.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Nipple necrosis and breast reduction

Congratulations on your procedure.  By this time, you are safe from most common complications seen in breast reductions including nipple necrosis.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

If the nipples have a normal appearing color, it sure sounds like you do not have to worry about nipple necrosis at this point.  Hope that is helpful, and congratulations on your successful breast reduction.

Congratulations on having undergone breast reduction procedures; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Assuming you have had no problems with the blood supply to the nipple/areola complexes up to this point, I think you are out of the woods for this type of problem. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with.

By 15 days the viability or lack thereof of the areola after breast reduction should be well established.

The likelihood of loss of an areola after breast reduction is very small but definitely exists. By 15 days your plastic surgeon should be able to tell you with a high degree of confidence that there is no more worry about the viability of this structure.

Out of the woods?

Yes, if everything looks good and feels good at 15 days, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your results.

Keith J. Attkiss, MD
Greenwich Plastic Surgeon