Will getting a breast lift with implants increase my chances of getting breast cancer?

Possibility of cancer with Breast lift with implants

Thanks for your question. There is no evidence that suggests that implants, nor a lift, will increase your chances of getting breast cancer.However, the implant may obscure future mammograms especially when placed in a subglandular position.If you are at the age where a mammogram is required, I would suggest obtaining it before your surgery.I hope this helps.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided infromation as well... The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift, with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will be a very good candidate for this procedure, actually there are no evidences of breast cancer after having this surgery, you will be fine, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Implants and Breast Cancer

There is no increased risk of breast cancer associated with breast implants.  It is most important to follow specific recommendations for screening mammograms.  Radiologists use special techniques when dealing with breast implants.

John A. Perrotti, MD

No, breast augmentation/lifting surgery will not increase risk of breast carcinoma.   However, breast implants  can interfere with mammography visualization of breast tissue. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Absolutely not

Patients who have breast augmentations with or without a lift, tend to examine their breasts more so there's a possibility

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Breast augmentation

There are plenty of studies which show that there is no difference between women with or without implants as to whether they get breast cancer, how bad it is once they get it, or how long they live after getting it. Your risk does not change at all. Whether you have implants or not you should do monthly self breast exams and an annual exam by a physician and mammograms every year after 40.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Implants and Breast Lift do Not Cause Cancer #breastaugmentation #breastlift

• Having a breast lift and breast augmentation will not increase your risk of getting breast cancer.
  • If these procedures increased the risk of breast cancer, we certainly wouldn't perform these procedures.

There is no evidence to indicate that a breast lift with implants increase the risk of breast cancer.  Regardless of whether you have cosmetic breast surgery or not, you should maintain proper breast cancer screening through your physician.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Cancer risk and implants

Developing breast cancer is not an increased risk when one has implants.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Breast lift and implants - am I more likely to get cancer

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and implants.

• Studies - and there have been a lot - show that your risk of cancer is the same, with or without implants.
  • The breast lift should have no effect either.
  • Breast implants make it easier to find new breast lumps and thus detect early cancers.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.