Will Coolsculpting on the Lovehandles And/or Stomach Work for Me? (photo)

Do I have enough fat in the "lovehandle" and/or stomach area to benefit from coolsculpting? Would it be more beneficial to put the device closer to my back rather than on the sides for the lovehandle area? Thank you!

Is CoolScultping right for me?

Thank you for your question.  The quick answer to your question is you appear to be an excellent candidate for CoolSculpting.  CoolSculpting is an excellent treatment for the non-invasive removal of fat and works very well for those stubborn bulges in the stomach, love handles and back.  Placement of the device is best made at the time of in person evaluation but I generally like to place over the center of the bulge.  In addition, in some individuals I will sometimes make a recommendation to treat with two applications to a love handle to ensure that we are treating both the front and rear portion of the sides. 

Long Island Dermatologist

Will Coolsculpting work for your love handles?

Thank you for your question and photos.

From the photos, it does look like you are a good candidate for Coolsculpting.  It will be up to you and the doctor for the exact placement of the handpiece for the best results.  It may take a few treatments in different areas to address the areas that concern you.

Throughout the treatment, controlled cooling is administered with a non-invasive applicator to an area intentionally targeting fat cells. As the procedure is initiated, vacuum pressure draws tissue into an applicator cup between cooling panels. The vacuum pressure may cause sensations of deep pulling, tugging and pinching in the area being treated.  Results are generally seen with one treatment but for more dramatic effects you may wish to have additional treatments performed. Results are sometimes visible within three weeks following your treatment, but full results will be noticeable within two to four months.

CoolSculpting Freezes Away Pinchable Fat

The photos you provided show a good amount of “pinchable” fat on your abdomen and love handles that is best treated with the original CoolSculpting applicator or the new CoolAdvantage applicator (which only takes 35 minutes per
area!). You will probably need at least two or three sessions to get
the results you want. Your board-certified dermatologist will know
the best areas to treat to reshape your body to your wishes. Please
arrange for a consultation to be evaluated for CoolSculpting.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for Love Handles?

Thank you for the photos.  It looks like you may be a good candidate for CoolSculpting.  CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool.  We have had good experience with the skin snapping back.  Each individual is different.  We usually see about a 25% reduction with CoolSculpting.  Liposuction gives more dramatic results, but is more invasive.  See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Moreover, would also consider seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who can give advice on both CoolSculpting and Liposuction.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Will Coolsculpting on the Lovehandles And/or Stomach Work for Me?

Thanks for your question. You appear to be a great candidate for Coolsculpting. It works extremely well on people at their ideal weight with "stubborn pockets of fat". Each treatment kills around 25% of the fat cells in the treated area and two treatments may be necessary. Best of luck. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Is Coolsculpting the Right Treatment for me?

Thank you for posting your photos.  You appear to be an excellent candidate for coolsculpting because you are fit and at your ideal weight.  If you can "pinch an inch" you will be able to have the applicator placed on the bulge and freeze the fat.  You can expect approximately 25% of the fat bulge in the given area reduced.  The abdomen and flanks when combined together give excellent results.  Please consult a  board certified dermatologist with expertise in coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Michele S. Green, MD

Best Candidates for CoolSculpting

Typically the best candidates have fat that can be pinched away from the body in either the love handle or abdominal area. Ideal candidates for the CoolSculpting procedure are men and women close to their ideal weight who find that they have stubborn pockets of fat that don't respond to diet or exercise. What's great is this non-invasive treatment can get rid of these bulges without surgery and downtime, and it's virtually painless. The best judge of treatment areas is the CoolSculpting expert who does your personal consultation.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon

CoolSculpting for Love Handles and Tummy

From the look of your photos, since you are able to pinch the unwanted area of fat, it looks like you would be a great candidate for CoolSculpting. Ideal candidates for this procedure are men and women who are close to their ideal weight who find that they have stubborn pockets of fat that don't respond to diet or exercise. What's great is this non-invasive treatment can get rid of these bulges without surgery and downtime, and it's virtually painless. In terms of placement of the device, the best judge of that would be a CoolSculpting expert who can meet with you in person and evaluate you carefully. 

Frank Lista, MD

Coolsculpting Candidate

You appear to be a good candidate for coolsculpting. To determine if coolsculpting is your best option, consult in person with a board certified physician who offers both surgical options and coolsculpting.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting to lose the love handles as done in our NYC practice

CoolSculpting has a very high safety profile and when there is a small amount of fat that is resistant to diet and exercise, and possibly not worth going through a liposuction procedure, it is easier to recommend CoolSculpting. When there is more than 2/3 of an inch of fat that's pinched between two fingers, that may be enough fat to warrant CoolSculpting provided the applicator can fit well on the area. Often, in my NYC practice, I have found that in liposuction and CoolSculpting, I need to reduce the fat compartment of the outer lower back that is slightly higher, but runs into, the outer love handle. This lower back contributes to the bulge laterally (outwardly) as the mass of the fat pushes on the lovehandle. Some patients have more of the lower back than the lateral fat and some have a significant anterior (forward) compartment as well. 

The doctors in our NYC practice examine patients to see if they're candidates. Sometimes the bulge is just loose skin which won't get corrected from the treatment. The right applicator has to be fitted to secure good suction and often, multiple applicators need to be used, in an overlapping configuration to treat the back, lateral and possibly the anterior components of the love handle.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon