How long should I take off from work for a tummy tuck with muscle repair and full back and flank lipo?

Recovery after a tummy tuck

I generally advise patients that the first few days after surgery they will be moving slow, they will feel pretty good around a week and will want to get back to normal activities at 2-3 weeks.  In general 2 weeks off of an office job would be fine.  A physical job requires up to 6 weeks depending on the job. 

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training &
Assistant Clinical Professor,
McMaster University

Three weeks is best, two weeks is a minimum assuming normal healing. Of course follow your surgeon's advice. For more information read belwo:

Time off work

Thank you for the question. Most patients with an uneventful recovery will require 2 to 3 weeks prior to returning to work. This of course will depend on how much exertion ones job requires. I hoe this helps. Best wishes.

Time off from work

Hi, onamission2.
Time off from work will depend on your pain threshold, healing, and the type of work.
Depending on patients' pain threshold, my patients take narcotic pain medicine for 1-2 weeks.
If they have desk job, they usually return to work in 2 weeks.
If you have more strenuous job, you will need to take off more time.
Please talk with your plastic surgeon and get his/her recommendation.
Good luck with your upcoming surgery and recovery!

It honestly depends on your job and how fast you heal.  I always advise my patients that they need at least two weeks and can return to work if they have a sedentary position, and if the drainage tubes have been removed.  A more active job will require more time off work or a light-duty schedule for up to six weeks.  Best of luck!

After tummy tuck recovery what kind of work?

The persons that do an office job with no physical fatigue usually return to work after 7-10 days. Obviously it depends on the person and each one behaves differently after an operation. Full exercise can be done after six weeks.

Time off work

To return to a desk job, 7-10 days is generally doable. For you to be up on your feet all day I would suggest at least 2-3 weeks. You want to avoid doing anything that engages use of your core muscles for 6 weeks and lifting anything heavy may cause this. Be sure to speak to your surgeon about his post operative recommendations. Don't rush back to work. Your body needs time to recover after a big surgery like you are having. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

2.5 weeks

All patients are different.  In general two and a half weeks is sufficient time off after abdominoplasty.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Back to work after tummy tuck, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

To give post-operative advice, i individualize each patient according surgery complexity, to garantize a better p.o. recovery and results.
In this regard, between two patients who has made a full tummy tuck, maybe, one of them, needed a bigger muscle repair than the other, because her abdominal wall was weaker. Therefore, who underwent a greater muscle repair, requires a longer recovery period.
But generally, the average of TT patients can return to an "office job" that does not involve sweat or load weight to 02 weeks p.o.
If it is a job that involves activity or heavy lifting, i recommend returning to work a month after p.o. to prevent surgery damage.

Kind regards
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Time off from work

A lot depends on your job.If it is very physical then maybe 3 weeks if it is like sitting at a desk and light work maybe 2 weeks.