Contacts out 3 months before LASIK??

I have a consult scheduled for LASIK, but when I called today to double check everything I was told because I slept in my contacts I needed to be out of them for 3 Months before I could have an accurate consult. I have been taking them out almost every night for the last 2 weeks, but I did sleep in them for long periods of time before that. I am wearing glasses full-time now and using eyedrops several times a day in preparation for the procedure, but is 3 Months out of contacts excessive?

Removing contacts before LASIK

If you are wearing rigid gas permeable lenses or have a high prescription, it is not uncommon for your surgeon to want you to be out of your contacts for three months.  

San Francisco Ophthalmologist

Out of Contacts before Lasik

It is important to leave your contacts out for a suitable amount of time before Lasik. If these are ordinary contacts (not orthokeratology contatcts) then 3 months seems a little excessive to me, but each doctor makes his or her own decisions regarding this.

Andrew Caster, MD
Los Angeles Ophthalmologist

Contacts out before LASIK

It's not. It's good that you are considering a surgical solution instead of sleeping in contacts, which is never recommended. Overuse of contacts, both hard and soft, is associated with corneal molding which could distorts corneas and could cause problems with your LASIK. You may also need some time to reverse or stabilize other complications of overuse including vascularization of the cornea. The only question is, is 90 days enough?

Melissa Toyos, MD
Nashville Ophthalmologist