Im 41 Had a Flat Small Mole on my Left Arm, Now Its Itchy and Red? Should I Be Concerned?

On my top left arm

Doctor Answers 4

Get it checked

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with others that have posted but would re emphasize it would be wise to have the mole examined by a board certified dermatologist and also have a complete skin check at some time. Best wishes, hope it turns out to be benign.

Columbia Dermatologist

Changing mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible that you have just irritated your mole, but you should consult a dermatologist to make sure that it is still normal.  If there is doubt, it will be removed and sent for pathology.  It is best to remove a suspicious mole sooner rather than later.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Concern over an itchy, red mole

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Itching and inflammation are not typically worrisome signs of a mole changing into a cancer. They usually signify signs of local irritation. If you are still concerned, you should have your mole examined by your dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If there is cause for concern, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

You might also like...


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any mole that changes should be looked at by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon and may be removed and sent for biobsy

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.