Will Fraxel work on an old facial scar? (photo)

I got a consult today for Fraxel laser for a 27 year old scar on my face Will it work on such an old scar?

Fraxel and scar

Fraxel works very well on facial scars particularly from acne. However because this is one linear perpendicular scar this will be quite difficult to treat. Please let me know how your treatment progresses. 

Fraxel might help somewhat

fraxel might help improve this but one of the problems with the scar is the direction is perpendicular to many normal creases. changing its direction and revising surgically with z-plasties might also be helpful. it's a very long scar as well and z-plasties would break it up and make it less perceptible.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon