I have considered rhinoplasty for a while now, but I’m very hesitant and anxious. This is a first for me - asking questions. I’m 17 years old and am wondering, “is it possible to make MY nose appear smaller and get it straightened?” Please let me know whether my expectations are too high. I'm a realist anyways, so I prefer the truth :). i'm happy the way my nose looks from the front, but as you can see, my problem is the profile. Is it possible to alter the profile "look" without substantially changing the look from the front?
Possible to Make Nose Appear Smaller and Straightened?
Doctor Answers 17
Yes, you should see a Rhinoplasty specialist
Yes, it is possible. Your eyes will look remarkably better from the front since your bump is large. As long as you see someone who has a lot of experience doing noses you should have an excellent result.
You are a good candidate for Rhinoplasty
1. It is absolutely possible for you to have the rhinoplasty and improve the appearance of the profile.
2. The hump might need to come down quite a bit, and therefore will require osteotomies to prevent "the open roof" deformity. Your surgeon will explain it to you in details.
3. Consider adding a chin implant to improve your profile without making your nose too small. A small graft at the top will help the profile line as well.
4. Consult with a facial plastic surgeon as well as a good plastic surgeon. Some general plastic surgeons concentrate on body surgery, and lack in their rhinoplasty skills. At the same time, some facial plastic surgeons are not great at rhinoplasty. In any case, make sure your surgeon does a lot of rhinoplasties, and review the before and after photos to make sure you like the surgeon's aesthetics.
5. Ask for computer imaging, to preview the possible results. While it is impossible to predict exactly what it will look like, it is possible to get close, get different views, and make sure you like what you see.
Rhinoplasty Can Make Your Nasal Profile Smaller & Straighter, While Keeping Frontal View Same
Hi Amin, Yes it is possible to change your nasal profile while keeping your frontal appearance relatively the same. It appears that some cartilage and bone can be removed from your nasal dorsum, and possibly a little added to the very top bridge of your nose (a radix graft) to give you a naturally appearing profile that is relatively straight.
It is most important that you choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully. It is also important to be sure to clearly communicate your goals and make sure that the surgeon understands those goals, and is able to meet your desired goals.
Good luck and be well. Dr. P
You might also like...
The profile can be made straight without changing the front.
Hi! Go for it! Find a board certified plastic surgeon. Ask to see before and after pictures, specially of male rhinoplasties. Ask the surgeon what the specific plan is for your nose. Get another opinion. Here are a couple of specific suggestions:
1) Going by your picture, the "bump" is not as big as it looks. The part of your nose between your eyes (the nasion) is quite low, and this makes the bump look bigger. One approach is to put a small graft in the nasion to make this a little higher and, at the same time, lower the bump some. This can give you a straight but not too low profile.
2) Your upper lip looks a little pulled up. This can be released during the nose surgery.
You should do well.
Yes, and you can have a great result
You are 17 and you will need to have your parents with you when you go for the consultation. You have thin skin and boney nose and this makes your plastic surgeons job easier.
Yes - your nose can be refined
It appears as if you are a perfect candidate for a rhinoplasty. Just pick a qualified experienced surgeon. It can be made straight and still look undone from the front. Male noses are harder than female as you want a strong, not scooped profile. Pick your doctor carefully.
Hump removal possible osteotomy
It seems that a hump reduction with or without osteotomy (breaking the nasal bones) will be required. The osteotomy will make your nose smaller but will also change the front view. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is essential to go over all the different options.
Smaller and Straighter Nose
You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. Reducing the size of your nose will bring it into proportion with the rest of your facial features. An experienced surgeon will provide a natural result.
Yes, it is possible to make your nose smaller and straghter!
Your nasal character as judged from your profile photo is one of most commonlly requested reasons for refinement. The size and shape you desire should be discussed with the help of drawings or computer imaging prepared by the surgeon you consult, to make sure that your expectations are taken into account during surgical planning.
Change Profile Without Changing Frontal View
Rhinoplasty is a three dimensional surgery. As such, changes on any view, will create changes on the other views. Changes can be made to a profile view to keep as many of the features on the frontal view, however, there can still be slight differences. A detailed conversation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can help discuss many of these details in planning your surgery.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.