If I massage my ruptured saline implant up until I have it removed, will it keep it from encapsulating?

It just deflated three days ago and I'm seeing a doctor for a consult next week.

Massage not necessary for saline implantdeflation

Hi, I have attached a link that might be helpful...

Hi Learningo. The normal, healthy capsule around your implant will likely not contract enough to require surgical adjustment if you proceed with replacement within a few weeks. Massage is not going to prevent or further the capsulular changes as it collapses a little with the deflation. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Replacement is the treatment for a ruptured saline implant

When a saline implant ruptures, the volume will be lost and the pocket (capsule) will shrink around the deflated implant. 

Just contact your PS - most will get the implant replaced within the week. 

Even if the capsule tightens around the implant - it is very straight forward to open the pocket when the implant is replaced.  You do not need to keep the pocket open.

This is a good time to look at options such as different implant profiles, cohesive gel implants, slight size modifications, etc.  This is especially the case if your implants are old and you want to replace them anyways.  This does not apply if you are only replacing the deflated implant.  

Scott Barr, MD, FRCSC, Plastic Surgeon

Scott Barr, MD
Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Massage for ruptured saline implant

Thank you for your question.  In short, not, massage of a ruptured saline implant will not prevent it from encapsulating.  After the saline has leaked out, the body will start to scar down around the empty bag.  This does take many weeks to months to happen.  You will have plenty of time if you are seeing  a physician next week.  Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Deflated saline implant

Thanks for your question and I am sorry to hear about your deflation. After saline rupture the skin of the breast and the capsule of the breast will begin to contract or shrink. This is not the same as capsular contracture and should not negatively affect the result of your replacement surgery. Massage won't cause any problems, but is unlikely to benefit your result. 

Best of luck next week, hopefully someone can help you quickly! 

Ruptured saline implant

I'm not familiar with any research to support the efficacy of massage I this scenario. Your surgeon may or may not need to perform a capsulotomy during surgery to make room for the new implant. The odds of requiring this procedure probably increase the longer the time from deflation to implant replacement. Goof luck!

Christopher Kelly, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. Massage of the breast with the deflated breast implant will not necessarily help. My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Work with him/her to come up with the best course of action. Best wishes.

Saline implant rupture

Once a saline implant ruptures, the capsule can shrink over the course of several weeks around the deflated implant, but this is not the same as capsular contracture. There is no need to massage your implant. I'd just focus on getting it replaced as soon as it is convenient and safe to do so. Good luck. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon