Would I get a good result with just liposuction or would I need a tummy tuck? (Photos)

Would I get a good result with just liposuction or would I need a tummy tuck? I'm really worried about the long scar from a tummy tuck and would like to just be able to have liposuction but ultimately I want the best outcome.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting and Tummy Tuck -- CANDIDATE?

You will get improvement with liposuction but minimal since you have a lot of weight that also needs to be lost.  If you have loose skin this should be removed at the same time.  I suggest being at your best weight prior to surgery.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tummy tuck or liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction or tummy tuck.

• I truly don't think one can tell from your photos what is best for you.
  • Photos are distorting - you may be  much slimmer than you look in the photo.
  • The photo suggests you have loose muscle from having children but that can be deceiving too.
  • I think you need an examination by a plastic surgeon and discussion of your options.
  • If the chief problem is fat, your have good quality skin and should have a good result.
  • If the chief problem is stretched muscle liposuction may be disappointing.
  • That said, I have had patients who have liposuction when I feel they need a tummy tuck -- the liposuction does what they want and they are happy.
  • So get more information from a personal consultation.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

Thank you for your question. Based on the photos submitted, you appear to be a candidate for a tummy tuck. Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) surgery aims to create an abdominal profile that is smooth and firm by removing excess fat and skin and tightening weakened or separated muscle. I would encourage you to have a discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon on what the ideal weight would be for a safe tummy tuck procedure. I prefer to do surgery on patients with a BMI of 30 or below to avoid the increased risk of complications during and after surgery. I advise my patients being at your ideal weight will give the best outcome.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

I think you would have a good result for liposuction of your abdomen, waist. Your skin looks to have reasonable elasticity so you can expect to have good retraction of your skin. It also looks like you would benefit from liposuction of your back bra rolls. This can be done with light oral sedation and local tumescent anesthesia with a few days off work. Thanks for sharing!

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs Tummytuck

your photos indicate that you should get a reasonable result from Liposuction, but a more dramatic result from Tummytuck. If you plan to have children any time in the future, go for the liposuction. Diet and exercise is also an excellent option. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Weight loss and TT

Hello. You would best be served by weight loss to a BMI of below 30 followed by a tummy tuck and liposuction of the back and flanks. This sequence can give you the best results. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Tummy tuck

hello, thank for sharing your photos and case with us, i recommend you to do a back and waist liposuction with tummy tuck bevause you have extra skin and maybe your abdominal muscle needs tk be repaired. Have a nice day!!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

Tummy Tuck

Your submitted photos suggest you would be a much better for a tummy tuck/abdominoplasty with liposuction of the flank area.

John Burns, MD

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

You would have to be seen in person to evaluate your abdomen.  If it is mainly fat in the subcutaneous space then lipo could be the way to go.  I you have loose skin and weak muscle then you may decide to have a tummy tuck.

Intra-Abdomina fat may limit the results

Based on your photographs you carry some fat under the skin and some fat under the muscle (around the organs).  Liposuction alone of the belly, in my opinion, would not make a substantial difference in the overall outcome of your abdomen.  A tummy tuck could make you flatter, but not flat.  I would recommend losing some weight first and working on core exercises to strengthen not only your six pack muscles, but also your obliques.  Then, after that you could truly expect the best outcome.  

Eric Mariotti, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon