Having TT/MR 11/7 so about 60 days. What would be the best things I can be doing to have a great surgery and recovery?

Surgery preop

You should review your doctor's instructions, as each doctor may have different requirements. I like patients to eat a balanced diet and not to take any blood thinners like aspirin or NSAID's

Preparation

All my patients receive both verbal and written instructions on how to both prepare for and recover from elective surgery.  I will emphasize the things that I believe are important, and the instructions will give more lengthy and detailed instructions should patients need more guidance.  Every surgeon's instructions vary somewhat, so I urge you to ask good questions during your preop visit.  In short, you should maintain a good healthy diet, make sure you are getting your daily minimum requirement of vitamins and minerals, do not do anything to excess such as alcohol.  You should stop all forms of smoking, including the patch or nicotine gum. And you should not do any risky behavior that could end up postponing or cancelling your surgery.  I hope that helps.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

TT

Hello and thank you for your question. Loosing weight will always enhance the result of a tummy tuck. If you are already at a healthy weight this may be less important. If your body mass index is high I would consider loosing more weight. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Nutrition is critical

Key factors in the healing of any wound are nutrition and vitamin supplements.  There are specially formulated vitamins that are designed to optimize your healing that we use from Vitamedica.  In addition, we use Arnica and Bromelian to reduce the swelling and bruising.  Before and after surgery, nutrition is a key component that is overlooked by almost every patient and surgeon.  After the operation, your calorie and protein requirements are increased.  We design a nutritional regimen for each patient which is provided to them during the preoperative teaching.  In order to meet the calorie and protein requirements after surgery, the patients typically supplement using protein shakes.  Calorie and protein intake are recorded on a log that we provide and review at the postoperative visits.  The combination of homeopathic medicines, vitamins supplementation, and adequate calorie and protein intake are critical to the wound healing process.  Prior to surgery, we ask the patients to stop all of their own supplements as some can cause problems with bleeding during and after surgery.

Preparing for Tummy Tuck Surgery

This is a good question, and one your surgeon will most likely review with you. I give my patients a 40 page booklet with before and after surgery instructions, basically I advise them to plan to have someone stay with them at least he first 24 hours when returning home, longer if needed especially if you have small children at home. Shop and prepare meals in advance and freeze if you don't have someone to do this for you. Be sure to fill all prescriptions in advance. Have plenty of clean clothing available that is easy to get in and out of, preferably that opens in the front. Have plenty of things available to keep you entertained while recovering; books, movies, laptop, etc. Have a recliner or plenty of pillows to keep you comfortable. If you smoke, stop at least 4 weeks prior surgery, and stop all blood thinners 2 weeks before surgery. Again, this is what I advise my patients, be sure to follow your surgeons instructions. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD