Is side sleeping after Breast Augmentation and Lipo of back and flanks ok?

I had my left breast only augmented and liposuction of my flanks and back from bra line & down) I am 2 days post-op. Would it be ok to sleep on my right side? I've been sleeping ina recliner on my back and it's not very comfortable.

Sleeping Position after Surgery

Melly.    It is best to get recommendations from your surgeon with this regard. I usually allow my breast augmentation patients to sleep on their sides as long as they wear their surgical bra. I don't restrict sleeping position after liposuction. Good luck!

Post operative care

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to first consult with your operating surgeon and every physician has their own unique set of post operative instructions for their patients.  That being said, for a unilateral procedure such as your breast augmentation, it would not be harmful to sleep on the side opposite the operative site.  However, to reducer swelling we often advise our patients to sleep on their backs and on a slight incline.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Sleeping position

I do not think that sleeping on your side would be a problem, but you should check with your surgeon.  

Sleep position

It would be best to remain in the recliner and continue to sleep on your back. I would recommend asking your surgeon to see if he feels it would be alright for you to change position, every doctor has their own individual post-op routines they prefer. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Side sleeping

Good question.  My recommendation following breast augmentation is to sleep on your back.  That being said, best advice is to follow instructions from your plastic surgeon.  I wish you good luck.

Side sleeping

Every surgeon as a different approach to this, call your surgeon and ask what he/she recommends. In my practice I am ok with side sleeping in a supportive sports bra, no underwire.  As far as the liposuction goes, most patients are in a tight fitting garmet and any sleeping position is fine.  Bestc of luck to you! 

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position

I would recommend following the post-operative instructions of your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has slightly different protocols. I usually recommend that my patients sleep on their backs for the first week. If after a week, everything is healing nicely and the patient is comfortable to do so, they can then sleep on their sides or stomachs but every patient heals differently so it is really a case by case decision. Best of luck. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after surgery

Thanks for your question. Yes, that should be just fine. I'd suggest sleeping in a sports bra to help keep everything stabilized. That should control swelling and pain. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Is side sleeping after breast augmentation and lipo of back and flanks ok?

Thank you for your question. I recommend that my patients sleep on their back for 6 weeks following breast augmentation and liposuction. Speak with your surgeon regarding post op guidelines. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD