How long after breast re-implant surgery can I start running again? And how many miles can I start running?

I had a staph infection in my left breast. My implant was removed and I will have surgery soon. It will be over 7 months since removal to let it heal. I run 3 times per week, about 20 miles average. How soon can I start running after surgery? I'm assuming I can't go right back to running 20 miles per week, so how many can I start with? How long should it take for me to get back to running my normal routine?

How long after breast re-implant surgery can I start running again?

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Always best to run these types of questions  by your plastic surgeon ( no pun intended). He/she will know exactly what procedure was performed and how you are progressing. Generally, for patients who have experienced complications of as you have, I would suggest that you "move slow" and listen to your body carefully as you resume activities.  It may be 2 to 3 months before you are back to full speed/distance.  Best wishes for a complication free outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Surgery and activity

If all goes well, I allow my patients to resume light aerobics in about 3-4 weeks. You are best to check with your surgeon. Good luck.

Breast Im

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I would suggest that you ask your surgeon about when you may start running. Most women can resume full activities, including running, at 6 weeks. You can probably start easy walking at the end of the first week.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon