Does it appear to be gynecomastia or bad luck with where my body places fat? (Photo)

I remember my first time ever noticing I had these 'things' was in 7thth grade, swimming was a large part of the grade and I refused to take my shirt off. It's been that way now for nearly ten years. I stand at five foot six inches and currently weigh in at just under 180lbs. I'm still working on losing more weight. Sense march has started I've lost roughly 35lbs.

How to Determine if You Have Gynecomastia

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Your chest

You have excess skin and fat (and probably breast tissue).  Whether it is true gynecomastia or pseudo the surgery is the same.  A good start is a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon. More information is available in the link attached.

Tim Neavin, MD

Does it appear to be gynecomastia or bad luck with where my body places fat?

Based on the photos it certainly appears as though you probably do have gynecomastia but the only way to know for sure is to be examined in person. I would suggest getting to your goal weight first and then booking a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to discuss your options. Best of luck!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Gynecomastia or Fat?

Congratulations on your weight loss!  This looks exactly like gynecomastia.  Complete your weight loss first.  Your gynecomastia surgery will require skin removal, and so there are incisions associated with that.  The link below will show you a before and after of my patient who has a similar shape.  Best of luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of pendulous gynecomastia

You undoubtedly have gynecomastia which was made worse by your prior overweight condition.  To get the best result, you should lose as much weight as you deem comfortable prior to surgery -- that way you can be tightened as much as possible.

After your weight loss, you will require removal of the excess skin and fat and re-positioning of the nipples.  {You should absolutely seek the advice of a plastic surgeon who is expert in gynecomastia surgery.

Please check out my website on gynecomastia and in particular,  look at the section on Surgery after weight loss in the "Other Procedures" drop down menu for further info.

Good luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Sever gynecomastia,be smart about choosing a surgeon.

Unfortunately you do suffer from a sever form of gynecomastia .Losing weight will not solve it,and my advice to you  is to think before choosing a surgeon.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia and weight loss

You have gynecomastia and bad luck with fat storage :)  Congratulations on your weight loss!!  I think you might feel better about your body to have that excess skin and tissue removed.  It's generally OK to lose more weight after surgery, but never a good idea to gain weight.  Maybe you want to start looking for surgeons who specialize in the type of help you need.  Make sure they are good at getting the maximum benefit for you with the minimum of scar tissue.  Really shop around and look at photos! You deserve a great result.  Best wishes!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss. I would get to your goal weight first. You likely need a skin excision and elevation of the nipple to a better position.

Gynecomastia

Jay
Your photos do indicate Gynecomastia, and while weight loss is a good idea, it appears that you will also need surgery to deal with your condition because of the redundant skin. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject, as it may be helpful.Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia

Looks like you have gynecomastia with a combination of excessive breast tissue and skin laxity.  Once your weight stabilizes, you can consider having surgery which will significantly improve the appearance of your chest.  Seek out a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring.  Nothing beats a good history and physical exam--that's the best way to find out about all your options.  Good luck! 

Elan B. Singer, MD