Can CoolSculpting Address Upper Arm and Bra Fat at the Same Time? (photos)

I am a slim woman, 5'2" & 118 lbs. No matter how much I work out, I cant seem to get rid of bra & upper arm fat. I talked to a plastic surgeon about options, and he recommended laser-assisted Lipo. I am a little nervous about anything invasive, and the price of $5200 is a lot for me. I was wondering if CoolSculpting would address both of these areas with one applicator. My fear is that it would come out uneven, or that my skin would be loose. I would love some advice of this. Below are pics.

Can CoolSculpting Address Upper Arm and Bra Fat at the Same Time?

Yes, these areas can be treated with the Coolsculpting Applicators but each area would require a separate treatment (1 hour treatment of the upper arm area and 1 hour treatment of the bra fat area).
Coolsculpting reduces the fat in these areas by 15-20% and so multiple treatments may be necessary.
Best to consult with a surgeon who can offer you both options (invasive and non-invasive) so that you can discuss pro's and con's of both options.

You can treat both areas but not with the same applicator.

If you wanted to treat your upper arm and your bra fat that is certainly achievable with CoolSculpting. The technology is a vaccum based technology that requires the applicator be suctioned onto an area of your body. Once the connection is made the applicator does not move for the duration of the treatment of that area. Maintaining a seal for the applicator is one of the challenges providers face when attempting to deliver the procedure. In the scenario described I do not believe that you would be able to maintain a seal with any of the applicators currently available from the manufacturer Zeltiq. You can however treat the areas separately and could certainly potentially get the results that you are looking for.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpting to address arm and bra fat.

Thank you for your photos.  We have had a very good experience with CoolSculpting in this area, (arms and bra fat area).  It is a very nice way to get rid of the fat in that particular area of the body.  We have not had an issue with extra hanging skin afterward.  Multiple family members, and my staff have had the procedure.  Each patient is different and so results may vary.  CoolSculpting is usually not as dramatic as liposuction.  The benefit is no scars or downtime.  It really depends on how aggressive you want to be.  You might want to see and additional Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does both these procedures.  Good places to look are the ASPS or ASAPS websites.                

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting can be used on the upper arms and bra rolls very effectively

CoolSculpting can be used on the upper arms and bra rolls very effectively, and in fact was just recently FDA approved for use on the “bra bulge.” Separate applicators will be required for the different areas, however, and each area would require a separate 1 hour long treatment. At my practice, we have two machines, so two areas could be done at the same time. Keep in mind that you can only expect a 20-30% reduction in fat after one CoolSculpting treatment, although it is possible to have multiple treatments spaced 3 months apart for further reduction.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. You may be a candidate for CoolSculpting, however, it is difficult to tell without a physical examination. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a CoolSculpting consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and find an option that fits you best. An in-person assessment is always best.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting, non-surgical fat reduction using cold therapy is FDA-cleared to treat the abdomen, flanks, inner and outer thighs, submental area (under the chin) and most recently fat around the bra straps. Other non FDA-cleared areas such as the arms can be treated, but an evaluation by an experienced provider is recommended. The back bra roll (fat around the bra straps) and arms are areas often requested for CoolSculpting. These areas can be treated and can be treated at the same setting and depending on the number of machines available will determine if they can be treated at the same time. Most often I prefer DualSculpting where two machines are utilized at the same time, treating both back bra rolls and or both arms at the same time. Using four machines at the same time is not as common, although we have done this on selected clients. The upper arm can be a difficult area to treat with CoolSculpting and depending on the volume of fat vs. skin excess present, CoolSculpting may or may not be the best option.

Thank you for your question. Both areas you mentioned are commonly treated with Coolsculpting. The applicators used will only treat each area at a time, but our practice for instance has two Coolsculpting units making it possible to treat two areas at once cutting treatment time in half. We refer to this as dual-sculpting.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bra fat and arm fat

Coolsculpting has just received FDA clearance for treatment of bra fat.  Posterior arms are still not on the list, but are frequently done in an 'off label' use.  Both are quite successful.  Anticipate one applicator per area, minimum, therefore 4 applicators total.  All could be done in one visit and in a total of 2 hours if the office has two machines to allow for dual-sculpting.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Vs Laser Lipo

Treating the Bra Fat and Arms is at least 4 areas. With each treatment there's 15-20% reduction. Depending on your expectations, you may want multiple treatments in these areas.You need to be assessed that those areas are truly fat and not loose skin. Remember Coolsculpting is treating only fat cells.  Schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon that can offer both invasive and non-invasive procedures. You should have all your questions answered and be confident before proceeding with any procedure.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for arms and bra fat

Hello, both of these areas are able to be treated by CoolSculpting. Each would require an application because no handpiece can fit over both parts at the same time. Our office is one of the leading Coolsculpting providers in the country and our physician trained with the two dermatologists at Harvard Medical School that invented the procedure. He personally performs all Coolsculpting procedures in the office and does not delegate it to staff.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon