My doctor does not use the compression garment

My dr does not use the compression garnet, everyone else seems to use them? How do you feel. Thank you!!!!

Compression Garment

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, all tummy tuck and liposuction patients wear a light weight compression garment for the first four weeks following their procedure.  With that said, not all surgeons recommend the use of compression garments and there are also surgeons who recommend prolonged wear of them.  Since you have chosen a plastic surgeon already, I would recommend discussing your surgeon's specific philosophy regarding the use of compression garments post-op directly with your surgeon and if you are have any concerns with not wearing a compression garment post-op, I would make sure to address those concerns as well.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Thank you for your question. Every plastic surgeon has their own protocols. If you are concerned about not using a compression garment, it may help to speak to your surgeon for more information. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Garments

Compression Garments have not been scientifically proven to enhance liposuction results.  Many talented board certified plastic surgeons do not use garments.

Your surgeon may have a good reason for not using a garment with you.
The garments may cause additional pressure on the skin which may lead to breakdown.
Laser liposuction adds a thermal component to break up the fat and may contribute to skin compromise.

Melissa Johnson, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment

Thank you for your question. I typically use the compression garment on almost all tummy tuck and liposuction procedures (with a few exceptions). I would suggest speaking with your surgeon about your concerns. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

? Need for compression garments

Assuming you're having a tummy tuck or liposuction, it would be standard of care to use compression garments in some fashion for a period of time postop. The length of time it is used is variable and definitely not set in stone. The main reason we use compression is to prevent seromas ( fluid collections) and to help with edema (swelling) postop. I would recommend speaking with your PS regarding any questions/concerns you have before your surgery. Best wishes. 

Compression Garment

Compression garment helps to keep swelling down. It helps decrease post op hematoma and seroma. Most surgeons use compression garment and you should consider wearing it.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Garments

Garments are crucial component of postoperative recovery after liposuction,abdominal contour procedures and many plastic surgery procedures. The fact that you're 

Compression garments

There is a time and a place for compression garments, used mainly after liposuction procedures.  Beyond that, garments may be recommended depending on the procedure.  However many patients must understand that plastic surgery is both an art and science, and based on the experience, preferences, and specific techniques done by a surgeon, nothing is ever "cookie cutter."  That means we take pain-staking measures to individualize our surgery to each patient. Every patient has different needs, expectations, anatomy, measurements, medical conditions, etc.  I may prescribe a garment to one patient but not to another, even though I may be doing exactly the same procedure.  That being said, always ask questions and make sure you understand the reasons behind them.  That will ensure that you will have a smoother and more successful outcome.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment

I think it depends on the procedure.  I do not always use them after tummy tucks because it may place too much pressure on the skin or incision.  Most important thing to know is that there is not "one right answer" to this question.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

Thanks for your query.

I use compressive garments on almost all procedures to reduce swelling and avoid postoperative bleeding.  I do not know of any surgeon who does not use them.

Best of luck

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS