Compression, my doctor doesn't use binders or compression garments.

I trust him, but people think I m crazy when I say my Dr. doesn't use them!!! Do you use compression? Thank you!! Surgery in 19 days

Compression after Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  While there is no accepted universal rule stating that all patients should wear a compression garment post-operatively, I do have all of my tummy tuck patients wear an abdominal binder for the first week before transitioning them into a light weight and seamless compression garment to wear until they have reached at least the one month post-op mark.  The thought process behind the use of compression garments is to reduce fluid accumulation and to reduce swelling that patients can experience immediately following surgery.  I would strongly recommend discussing your surgeons' philosophy on post-op use of compression garments so that you can understand why he or she does not use them. 

Compression Garment, Post-Op Tummy Tuck

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

If you find yourself worried at all about having received this information from a surgeon who does not use a compression garment then you should not hesitate to have additional consultations with other board certified plastic surgeons to find one with a procedure and healing process with which you agree. Good luck!

Compression with tummy tuck

There are no well designed scientific studies that prove compression garment use in tummy tuck is beneficial but many surgeons use them for various reasons.  The main reason cited is to reduce bleeding or fluid collections under the abdominal tissue and to speed the recovery process by helping swelling decrease quicker.

I will typically recommend using compression garments for abdominoplasty, and significant abdominal, flank, or thigh liposuctions but there is an added cost with the garments that now all patients are not happy to see as a line item.  Some surgeons combine the cost of the garments as part of the entire surgeon fee.  If a patient is opposed to the garments I don't make it a requirement.

I have had many patients tell me they feel "more secure" or less uncomfortable with the garments then out of them after a tummy tuck but I've also seen ill fitting garments causing indentions, discomfort, and very rare contact dermatitis.  I would ask your plastic surgeon what their reasoning is behind using or not using compression and then follow their advice.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Compression garments

Thanks for your question.

It is certainly a surgeon's preference to use compression garments or not, but I and most of my colleagues use them routinely.  It decreases postoperative swelling and I'm sure it aids in reducing bleeding.

Best of luck with your healing.  ALways follow your Plastic Surgeons instructions.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Post Op Compression Garment

Compression garments are commonly used post Tummy Tuck/Lipo however there are techniques and situations where they may not be required. Your Plastic Surgeon will want to do what has consistently yielded the best results in their practice. Be sure your Plastic Surgeon is board certified and an expert in this area.

All the best

Compression Garments

There is no right or wrong when it comes to compression garments.  It depends on your surgeon, and his or her processes and techniques.  Either approach has been successful in a particular surgeon's hands.

If you feel strongly one way or the other have a talk with your surgeon or nurse to discuss it.  

All the best!

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Binders and Compression Garments for Abdominoplasty

The use of garments and compression devices after a tummy tuck are varied by patient and physician.  Usually the first two weeks my patients walk bent over until the drain tubes are removed.  If there is still a little fluid retention I may suggest a garment to be worn.  Again, each patient is treated individually and some require garments and some do not. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

Each surgeon has their preferences. Most but not all surgeons use them for liposuction and tummy tucks. If you are comfortable with your surgeon, then follow his recommendations. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments

I always comment on this site that not all surgeons use compression garments. I do because I think most patients prefer the "reinforcement" feeling.  Best of luck.

Post operative binders.

Thanks for your question. I suspect you are talking about a future tummy tuck based on your other posts.

Your surgeon is probably going to quilt the tummy. This means sewing down the abdominal wall rather than just letting it stick down on its own. Quilting diminishes the risk of fluid collection so I can see where a binder or compression is less necessary.

While I favor quilting as well, I do think compression helps to keep swelling at bay and can even diminish post operative bleeding. 

Ask your PS why-- there is likely a good reason.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon