Chin implant or liposuction. (photos)

My jawline and chin has always been a source of my insecurities and I'm looking to remedy the situation. I am 5'8 and 135 pounds so I'm sure my face could be thinner but I know I won't have the face I want with diet alone. I would like to know if I should get a chin implant or if liposuction will be enough to get a decent profile. I know both would be ideal, but if you had to choose which one would be best for my particular frame?

The Chin/Jaw Remedy

I find that VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF or ultrasound are best for contouring the chin in those who are candidates but Kybella/implants/fillers can be used as an alternative. Implants can be done at the same time or even fat grafting. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Chin implant or lipo

It appears that you may have extra fat under your neck but once you have a chin implant, the skin and muscles get pulled forward and you will get tremendous improvement in your neck contour. For those needing fat removal with liposuction, it can simply done through the same submental incision.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

Chin implant or liposuction.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is some excess fat below the chin.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  While liposuction can be added to the chin augmentation to increase definition of the neck, by itself it would not add the facial harmony and balance that a chin implant provides.

Hope this helps.

Getting the neck you want.

Thanks for posting this question and the photos. In your case, a combination of a chin implant and neck liposuction would give you a beautiful neck. Liposuction alone may not give you enough of a change. This is especially true if your hyoid bone is low, though this can only be determined during an exam in person. 

Best of luck from NYC.

-Dr. Paul

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Chin Implant and Profile Concerns

Thanks for your post. If you had to chose only one procedure, chin implant vs liposuction, to enhance your facial features I would choose a chin implant. There are some excellent sizes and shapes available in silastic chin implants which could compliment your facial bone structure and improve your jawline and projection. By balancing these areas you should feel far more self assured and confident in your appearance. Hope this answer helps. Best Wishes 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining chin implant and neck liposuction may be considered for beck and jawline rejuvenation.

Without an examination, it may be difficult to speculate which of the two procedures may be most beneficial for you. In our experience, when chin augmentation is desirable, neck liposuction may be beneficial to achieve a desired result. Consider consulting with several reputable surgeons so you could see what might be best for you. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon