What Are Other Options For Congenital Ptosis? I'm 18. (photo)

Im an 18 year old female born with congenital ptosis in my left eye. 4 attempts have been made at correcting it. 3 Under Eyelid Ptosis Repair, Levalor Tuck Posterion. A different surgeon performed a procedure done from the outside. Its been two years and any improvement has drooped down again leaving my lid deformed. My creases are uneven, the eye is hooded, my prescription tripled, I cannot see out of a contact lens, cant close I feel something has gone wrong. Can anything be done to help me?

Doctor Answers 4

Congenital ptosis and absence of a levator palbeprae superioris muscle are not the same.


Congential ptosis is complex and should only be addressed by properly trained pediatric or oculoplastic surgeons.  Care by a general ophthalmologist or general plastic surgeon is seldom adequate for these complex situations.  You should seek care at a universtiy setting.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Correction of congenital eyelid ptosis

See a board certified oculoplastic surgeon, perhaps one with an academic affiliation. Bring all your operative reports and treatment history with you so the surgeon can make the more meaningful assessment possible!

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

You may need to have frontalis sling surgery

The revision surgery is always more complicated than the first surgery. If the levator function is limited or non existent,frontalis sling with the temporalis fascia would be the next option.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

Treatment of congenital ptosis or absence of the levitator muscle

You pose  a very difficult problem since we do not know who performed your surgery and where.  The problem is "Do you have and intact levitator muscle to your upper eyelid or is it missing.  Physical exam is mandatory  in answering this question.  Also. you have marked facial asymmetry with your left side smaller, posteriorly located and lower.    Your "now" looks good.   You should consult a medical center close to home.  I looked on a map and see you are close to the Cleveland Clinic and I would suggest that you be evaluated by them.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.