Is the Picosure or YAG better for this tattoo? Help! (Photo)

I'm reading different articles about which laser works better for different colors. This tattoo is mostly light blue, red and black.. I read picosure has troubles removing red but what about light blue? This tattoo is 8 years old and is located on my neck which I read are both positives for tattoo removal just trying to figure out which laser would be best for these colors. Thanks in advance!

Tattoo Removal

My preference for laser tattoo removal is the PiQo4 laser that has 4 Pico wavelengths including 532 for red pigment. With this laser 96% of ink can be removed effectively and safely and on average in as little as 4-6 sessions. I currently utilize 5 Pico wavelengths and have been practicing tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

PicoSure for tattoo removal

Thank you for your question. I would suggest the PicoSure laser. PicoSure is able to target pigments that previous lasers were not able to treat because the wavelengths it operates has the ability to target and shatter even the smallest of ink particles. The PicoSure laser offers such advanced technology that it can easily and effectively remove nearly any pigment color from nearly any skin type or skin color. One of the most difficult colors to remove is often dark red, but the PicoSure laser can target even those dark red colors. Typically most patients need at least 3-6 sessions for optimal results. If you are interested in the procedure, I suggest consulting with a qualified provider for a full in-person consultation. Good Luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Picosure is a very good option

Laser tattoo removal depends on a variety of factors.  The colors which are predominant in your tattoo include blue, red and black.  Picosure is excellent at treating the blues and greens and it is also really good at treating the black ink.  Some would argue that a YAG laser may actually be better for black ink due to absorption and increased penetration of a longer wavelength laser.  The red ink can be difficult to treat and requires the use of a 532 nm laser .  Picosure is a fantastic laser but by no means perfect.  Fortunately there is rumor, that the company will soon come out with a 1064 handpiece which should make it a complete option for laser tattoo removal.

All the best

Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician