Post breast removal wound care (Photo)

I recently had implants removed along with a breast lift (6weeks ago). I ended up with a strep infection, and the incisions opened up, slowing down the healing process. My dr. Had to restitch the area, and when stitches were removed the incision opened back up. There is a new layer of skin growing there, and not just flesh now. What should I be putting on it for it to continue to heal? Keep it dry, or moist? I'm also worried what was once pretty boobs are now going to look ugly.

Wound care

I am sorry to hear about your problems. Often restitching often ends up with the original problem and leaving things to heal is the best treatment at this point. It will heal but you need to be advised regarding wound care. The scars will mature and often the final scars will scar and you will not need anything further. your PS needs to advise.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Post breast removal wound care

I'm sorry for the problems you're having.
In the short term, conservative wound care should help the incisions heal.  That typically includes wet to dry dressings, showers, moist non-stick dressings, etc.  Your PS should be able to supervise this portion of your care.
It will take a few weeks for that wound to close, and up to 6-12 months for your scars to mature fully.  At that point you can consider additional treatments or procedures, including scar revision and, ironically, the insertion of small breast implants (if you're willing) to hellp the shape.
An in-person assessment with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons at that point should help you go through the various choices.
I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Post breast removal wound care

Thank you for sharing your experience and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your infection.  It appears that your body is doing a good job of trying to heal itself from the inside-out.  This is demonstrated by the red granulation tissue found within the base of your wound. By maintaining this area moist, and performing daily dressing changes, the depth of your wound will gradually improve and will match the surrounding skin.  It will likely take several more weeks to finish but maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure no further wound issues. Best wishes.

Wound care

Sorry for what appears to be delayed wound healing. For wound care instructions, you should really talk with your surgeon to see what he prefers. Good luck.