Disappearing suture end. Am I in danger of wound dehiscence? (Photo)

i am 12 days post op a tummy tuck and recovering very well. I got tired of my dirty itchy steri strips so took thm off and in the process inadvertently cut the end of my suture very short and now it has disappered into me! is this an emergency? I still have three other suture ends sticking out. Am I in danger of wound dehisscence?

Disappearing suture end. Am I in danger of wound dehiscence?

Thank you for your question and photograph.  After 12 days your incision is not fully healed but has progressed enough from surgery to be fairly resilient.  I would let your surgeon's office know what has taken place, but this is not an emergency.  Maintain as much tension off of your incision as possible and follow up closely with your doctor to ensure an uncomplicated healing process.

Cut suture

No this is not an emergency.In all likelihood your surgeon closed your wound in several layers so there are probably some sutures under the skin that you can not see.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

It is highly unlikely that you have caused a problem and certainly not an emergency. I would see your PS for extra reassurance as only your PS will know what type of stitches have been placed.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Worried about suture and dehiscence...

Don't worry!  This does not sound like an emergency.  The suture is almost certainly absorbable and should not pose a risk if it has retracted under the skin.  At 12 days postoperatively, you have likely healed sufficiently such that your suture is no longer the main thing holding your wounds together.  As such I would not expect a dehiscence.  Be sure to relay your concerns to your surgeon to make sure this won't be an issue in your recovery.  Good luck!

Post op care

At 12 days post op, the skin suture has done its job, and you aren't in danger of dehiscence.  Your incision seems to be healing nicely, as well.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Wound dehiscence

The safest thing would be to contact your surgeon. I think the time it's been since your surgery and the high likelihood that your  surgeon closed in  multiple layers that this should not be a problem but I wouldn hurt you to check with him or her to be sure 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Cut Stitch

Thanks for the picture. This is not an emergency or a wound healing issue.  The entire suture still most likely will be able to be removed.  Please seek evaluation from your board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.