I'm 21 yrs old.Do you I need an arm lift or liposuction? If I get just Lipo & workout faithfully, will my arms get tight?(photo)

My mom has big arms and i DO NOT want to go on in life with this insecurity and wear long sleeves forever! Do i need an arm lift or liposuction? I just started the gym and plan on working out faithfully! If i get just liposuction and then continue working out then will my arm gets tight? Please help guide me in the right direction I AM ONLY 21!

Tight arms

Thanks for your question, in the photos, there seems to be already some laxity of your skin, even if you loose weight and you workout, there will be an excess of skin that will need to be removed with surgery, liposuction by itself will not be enough to make your arms skin look tight.Best wishes, Dr Sigler

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift

Hello dear, thanks for post. An arm lift is a surgical procedure that:
  • Reduces excess sagging skin that droops downward
  • Tightens and smoothes the underlying supportive tissue that defines the shape of the upper arm
  • Reduces localized pockets of fat in the upper arm region
Fluctuations in weight, growing older, and heredity can cause your upper arms to have a drooping, sagging appearance. This is a condition that cannot be corrected through exercise.
Arm lift surgery may be right for you if the underside of your upper arms are sagging or appear loose and full due to excess skin and fat.

In general, arm lift candidates include:
  • Adults with significant upper arm skin laxity
  • Adults of any age whose weight is relatively stable and who are not significantly overweight
  • Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic expectations.... I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Arm lift / liposuction

Thank you for your question.  Looks like you have excess adiposity and skin - therefore, an arm lift combined with liposuction would be of benefit.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

I'm 21 yrs old.Do you I need an arm lift or liposuction? If I get just Lipo & workout faithfully, will my arms get tight?(

You are probably a border line candidate for either the lipo or the arm lift.You will probably get a better solution with either, but a tighter result with the armlift.

Arm lift / Brachioplasty / Liposculpture / Liposuction/ Fat Grafting / Skin Tightening / High Definition Procedures

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture for your arms.  The procedure promotes skin tightening so you may not need an arm lift in the future.

I have done many body contouring procedures and specialize in Vaser Hi Definition liposculpture. Vaser Hi Definition body sculpting requires extensive specialized training. I am one of few surgeons in the United States that was personally trained by Dr. Alfredo Hoyos, the surgeon that developed this technique.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create and athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Arm lift?

Thank you for your question and photos.  Because you are still young, you might want to first try liposuction.  This will NOT tighten you arms, but it will remove fat from them.  Then, if you are dissatisfied with the result, an arm lift will tighten and improve the appearance of your arms although you will be left with lengthy, visible scars.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

I'm 21 yrs old.Do you I need an arm lift or liposuction? If I get just Lipo & workout faithfully, will my arms get tight?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although nothing will replace in-person evaluation ( to assess the area of concern and quality/elasticity of the overlying skin), I would be very concerned that you will end up displeased if you have liposuction surgery alone perform. Based on the photographs, there has been some skin elasticity loss, and loose/irregular skin "redraping" is somewhat predictable.  Best to seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work; again, please make your decisions carefully. Best wishes.

I'm 21 yrs old.Do you I need an arm lift or liposuction?

Normally I would say the arm lift, but you are so young I believe I would start with just liposuction in order to save you the long scar of the lift procedure. Then give the skin 3 months to tighten. If it is not tight enough, you have not lost anything, you can still do the lift. I honestly doubt the lipo alone will satisfy you, but once you put that scar on your arm it is there forever although it does fade dramatically over a couple of years. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

The good thing is that you are only 21 years old. Without getting more in depth information from a physical exam and weight gain/lost history, your photos and young age are an indication that liposuction is a safe place to start.
Arm lift surgery can leave the long scar from the inner elbow up to the under arm. Most patients I meet would like to avoid that incision scar.
My recommendation is that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a physical exam to see if liposuction would minimize the size of your arms the way you would like. Younger patients do see contraction of the skin from liposuction. Some other factors (significant weight loss, overall health, medications) are to be considered as well.
What I often tell my patients is that if we start with liposuction, we aren't burning any bridges. Approximately six months after the liposuction has been done, we can evaluate to see whether arm lift surgery is even necessary.

Reza Rod, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon