Chin asymmetry. Any ideas of what could be the cause and how you would address? (Photo)

In the last couple of years I've noticed my chin swings to the right, worsening by the day. Any ideas of what could be the cause and how you would address? I've considered filler but am interested in a permanent correction.

Candidate for chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.  

Chin asymmetry. Any ideas of what could be the cause and how you would address?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin asymmetry and how to address it.

Chin asymmetry is common. It would be extremely rare to have a perfectly symmetrical face.  Many of my patients try filler first, just to get an idea of what their new chin would look like before doing chin augmentation with an implant.  Be Well!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent options for chin asymmetry

It is not uncommon for patients to have asymmetry in the chin region. In my opinion the best option for a permanent improvement of an asymmetric chin is a custom chin implant. During a custom chin implant, a CT scan is performed of the face to see the underlying bone asymmetry causing the issue. Using this CT scan and working with the implant company, a custom implant can be created using the patient CT scan to create a shape to permanently improve the chin asymmetry.  In my opinion, this will create the best result.