What Are the Signs to Be Concerned About After Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction 2 weeks ago. My left breast appears to be much larger. I'm very, and I mean very, slowly starting to feel better, but still extremely sore. My left breast has a significant amount of bruising. However, when the surgeon removed the gauze sewn over my nipples, I ended up with large black scabs over my nipples, which I expected. Well, yesterday, both scabs fell off while in the shower, and my nipples are extremely sensitive. I've read very general signs to watch out for infection...but how do I know for sure whether to be concerned?

Breast Reduction Complication?

Based on your description,  you may be experiencing a hematoma ( which would explain the breast asymmetry and increased bruising). The only way to know for sure is with direct examination. Follow-up with your plastic surgeon  for direct examination and treatment.

Breast Reduction Complication?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Breast reduction concerns

If one breast is large and hasmore bruising, one always worries about a hematooma, and you shoudl talk to your surgeon tomake sure this is not occuring.

Breast reduction concerns

Hematoma after breast reduction needs to be drained.

Hi.

Hard to be sure, but it sounds like you have a hematoma in your left breast after breast reduction.  If so, it needs to be drained promptly or you will not heal well.  See your plastic surgeon right away.

A sonogram detects a hematoma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hi.

A sonogram detects a hematoma.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Post op care after breast reduction

If your breast is a lot more swollen and bruised than the other, you may have had some bleeding in the pocket. I would recommend you follow-up with your plastic surgeon so they can examine you and see if any additional treatment is needed. I hope this helps.

DR Edwards

Post op care after breast reduction

DR Edwards