Should I Be Concernced That a Clinic Has Offered to Do my Upper Blepharoplasty? (Im 22)

I have asked 3 cosmetic nurses here in Ireland for an upper blepharoplasty and all refused, telling me i was too young.they said there is a little bit of excess skin but not enough for a bleph. I heard from a friend a great place in Spain that does cosmetic surgery.They give you aftercare in their sister clinic in your own country.they asked me to send photos of my eyes and two days later they said i have discreet excess of skin on the upper lids. Should i go for it?

Leave your eyelids alone- they are perfect you do not need a Blepharoplasty

Yes I would e concerned about a clinic that offered to do a Blepharoplasty on a 22 year old woman who has perfect upper eyelids-run away from them.

Upper blepharoplasty

Hi

Be careful.  Your photos do not show the need for upper blepharoplasty.  You may look very hollow after surgery.  Yes you are young, but even more than that the photos do not show an indication for surgery

Guy Massry, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Not a candidate for upper eyelid surgery

I have performed upper Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) for over 20 years and from your photo and age...you are not a candidate for upper Blepharoplasty.  Save your money and enjoy your surgery free trip to Spain.

Shopping Leads to Chopping

Thanks for your question and photos.  What you have found is that if you ask enough clinics/surgeons, you will eventually find one with enough hunger and sparse ethics to take your money and operate on you.  After all, many celebrities do that and end up in the "plastic surgery gone wrong" files.  The fact is, your eyelids are the envy of most patients 15 years your senior.  You should preserve them with good sunscreen and skin products.  Accentuate them with makeup.  DO NOT undergo surgery.

What will happen if you get surgery at your young age is you will get premature aged appearance to your eyelids.  At 30 you will look 40 and at 40 you will look 55!

Don't do it, you will regret it!

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic eyelid surgery at 22 - no way!

In my opinion, you re in no way a candidate for surgery.  All procedures have risks no matter how small and so does an upper bleph.  I would be very concerned about the ethics of someone who would operate on you for what little your photos show.

Blepharoplasty is an absolute no for now!

Diana, Your anatomy shows very little excess skin and I would absolutely not have an upper lid blepharoplasty. I would suggest waiting at least five years and see if this changes and then it may be something to consider. You have beautiful eyes and you need to make sure you do not make a bad decision that may affect you for the rest of your life. I always say that I treat each one of my patients as a family member and I have a 25 year old daughter and I will advise you the same as stated above " run for the hills...and not the hills of Spain!

Michael Elam, MD

Upper lids in a 22 year old

Run for the hills!!!  Full upper eyelids( at least in these photos) are a sign of attractiveness. I would not( based on these photos) operate on you. 

Need a bleph?

Dear Diana22x

Thank you for your photos. You have some excess skin which, if this is your issue, can be addressed.  Often this would be performed under local.  Eye sight is a precious sense and I recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic or oculoplastic surgeon for a complete exam to access your ocular function. If you have no risk factors then choosing who would do your surgery is the question.  I usually recommend that you have your surgery closer to home.  If problems develop, and they do, then proximity to your surgeon is a blessing.  Good luck.  

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Not Necessary

Diana,

You have very little excess upper lid skin, and are unlikely to benefit from an upper blepharoplasty (removal of excess skin and fat).  Every surgery, including upper blepharoplasty, has risks of complications.  One possible complication of upper blepharoplasty is dry eye (especially in patients who have little upper lid skin to start with).

I recommend you seek an oculoplastic surgeon, a specialist in eyelid surgery.  It may be that you could benefit from ptosis surgery (tightening of the muscle that lifts the eyelid to bring the eyelid higher up on the cornea).

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Would eyelid surgery be a benefit?

It is human nature to try new things and ask others their opinions. When one is considering surgery, one needs to be particularly careful, and this includes elective aesthetic surgery.     Even among well qualified surgeons, when inquiring about "what should I have done?", the answers will vary.  We physicians are charged with trying to make treatment decisions which have a high probability of being in the best interests of our patients. In other words, will a particular surgery have a good "risk : benefit" ratio?  Will the "pros" likely outweigh the "cons".  It is not difficult to find someone who will operate on you whether you would benefit or not. And beware of fantasy clinics or situations that seem too good to be true. When and if the eyelids really DO become lax or saggy sometime in the future, then would be a better (better for you) time to revisit this question.  But for now, enjoy your lovely eyes!

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon