Compression Garment Not Used Immediately After Male Breast Reduction?

My doctor wanted me to wait one week after my gynecomastia op to get fitted for compression garmet cause he said swelling will have gone down and we could get a better fit. Everything I read on here states that compression garmets are most important in the first week post op. is this a mistake for me to wait that long?

After Gynecomastia Surgery Care & Concerns

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

When to wear Compression for Gynecomastia Surgery

If your surgeon was concerned about a poor blood supply to your areola/nipple then this may be one reason to wait for this period. There may be others - ask your plastic surgeon as to his reasoning. The overall result will likely be the same but perhaps take a little bit longer for the edema to resolve.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Compression Garment Not Used Immediately After Male Breast Reduction

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for post operative care. Trust your surgeon as he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about  you. You can and should voice your question to your surgeon so he or she can explain the purpose behind his or her recommendations.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Ask your surgeon

You should follow your surgeon's instructions, as they are more familiar with your situation. If you have a concern, please let them know so that they can explain why they recommend this.

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery

The length of time that you need to wear a garment after gynecomastia surgery depends upon how much work was done and the degree of redundant breast tissue and skin that you have. This is a question best answered by your plastic surgeon.

Compression dressing after gynecomastia surgery

I perform over 250 Gynecomastia Surgeries each year.I do use compression dressing for the first 5 days only,But every surgeon has is own experience.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Compression Garment after Gynecomastia Surgery?

Every plastic surgeon may have different preferences with the use of  compression garments.  Some may not use garments at all.  If you have concerns,  it would be best for you to ask your plastic surgeon about his rationale behind  his recommendations. Otherwise, online consultation may be unhelpful/confusing.

Compression after Male Breast Reduction

I typically place patients in a comression garment after male breast reduction.  However, if there is any concern about blood supply to the nipple, for example, it may be appropriate to avoid compression until your doctor can evaluate you postop to make sure everything is healing properly.  Its a good question and one you should ask your surgeon.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment after gynecomastia

Personally, I prefer to place patients in the compression garment at the conclusion of the surgery because swelling reaches its peak at 48-72 hours postop. If swelling decreases such that the initial garment does not fit, a substitute can be provided. Ask your surgeon to explain the method he has proposed and whether he does so because of postop drains.

Compression after gynecomastia treatment is important but not degree and timing vary

Compression applied after gynecomastia treatment depends on the technique used and the particular tissue situation.  In some cases, a high degree of compression may be contraindicated, particularly if drains are used.

Discussing your particular situation with your board certified plastic surgeon is the best option to clarify the problem.

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon