Compression Garment or Binder?

It seems some PS's use binders and some use compression garments with a tummy tuck. What is the reason they choose 1 over the other? I am getting a compression garment- does it have to do with lipo or not having I am having lipo. Thanks a head of time to anyone who answers.

Binder or Compression Garmet

In my view those are more or less interchangeable. What is important is understand why extra support is needed.

For the muscle that were tightened a "splint" is helpful to decrease the pull on the sutures and to decrase the pain.

For the skin, we need to remember that the skin was separated from the muscles in order to tighten those. This leaves a space where fluid can accumulate. The sooner the skin "sticks" back to the muscles the better will the healing proceed. The support keeps the skin against the muscles.

Garments

We typically use compression garments with a binder for added support on all TT procedures.  It has worked well for many years

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment or Binder?

In some cases surgeons will use the term compression garment and abdominal binders interchangeably.  In my practice, all tummy tuck patients wear an abdominal binder for at least the first week post-op.  Abdominal binders are generally an elastic material that can be adjusted to be made tighter or looser.  Compression garments, which my patients generally transition into for the second, third and fourth week post-op are not adjustable in this same way and instead are made of a spanx-like material.  In either case, the purpose of compression garments and abdominal binders following a tummy tuck is to help reduce/manage post-op swelling and to prevent fluid accumulation as the soft tissues re-attach to each other.  

I would discuss your surgeons specific post-op protocol with your operating surgeon and ask him/her to elucidate which type of garment would be recommended for you.  

Compression garment vs. binder post tummy tuck and lipo.

The methods your describe support the soft tissue, decrease, edema, and provide a good environment for the skin and soft tissue to adhere to the soft tissue underneath.  Each surgeon may use a different protocol.  It is OK to ask about his/her particular rationale.  

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS