Complications and health concerns with new memory silicone gel implants?

Hi! I am a 27 year old mom of two. I am very fit and have always thought about having my breast enhanced as I have always barely been able to fill an A cup. The only thing that hasn't made me go through with it, is fear of complications as far as the implant affecting my health. What are the statistics with this? As far as the new gel silicone implants behind the muscle? Thank you!

Safety And Breast Implants

Since the time of Copernicus and his famous postulate that the Earth is not the center of the Universe, there has been a war on science and the knowledge gleaned from it.  Just like the anti-vax movement trying to cloud reality with childhood vaccines, you will find a similar movement doing the same with breast implants. The science is overwhelming and definitive, showing the breast implants of any kind do not cause human disease. I can assure you that going on the internet is not going to be helpful, as 99% of what's there is misinformation, regardless of the subject you choose.  It comes down to either believing the "anti-breast implanters'" stipulation that surgeons like us are part of the conspiracy to harm people for financial gain, or believe your surgeon. I hope you choose science. Best of luck!

Breast implants are among the most tested of medical devices. No other medical device has been studied to the extent that breast implants have. Extensive studies of tens of thousands of women with breast implants have shown that both saline and silicone implants are safe. They do not produce a higher rate of breast cancer or autoimmune disease. After vigorous evaluation by the FDA, both are approved for cosmetic and reconstructive usage.

The majority of patients having breast augmentations are very pleased with their results. No one should enter into that procedure with the idea that the implants will last forever or that they may never need another breast surgery. There are a variety of reasons why a woman would have a secondary procedure: to alter the size of the implants as the patient ages and the size and shape of the breast naturally change, to correct the effects of pregnancy on the breasts, weight fluctuation, the implant can form a capsular contraction around it which produces a hardening, or the implant may leak. No one can guarantee the life cycle of an implant.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Are Silicone Gel Implants Concerning

You have a very common question that I see at my San Antonio Plastic Surgery practice.  You may want to check out the FDA Breast Implant page for reassurance (fda,gov/breastimplants).    Women who are concerned with gel usually opt for the Saline Implants.  

I use the Ideal Implant which is a structured Saline Implant.  It solves a lot of the problems of the regular Saline Implants and feels very much like a Silicone Gel Implant.

Hope that helps.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Health concerns regarding implants

I am not aware of breast implants causing health issues.  You can refer to all 3 US implant vendors for safety information, as well as the FDA.

This is one of the most common procedures performed in the US, with a very high satisfaction rate.  I would encourage you to do your research and learn more.  Then discuss any questions with your chosen surgeon. 

Hope this helps and best wishes!

Dr. Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Health concerns regarding silicone implants

I understand your concern regarding your health and using silicone implants.  Current research assures us that Silicone and Saline implants are safe and do not cause any systemic health complications.  A great resource of date can be found at Mentor Worldwide website, the manufacturer of implants.  At your consultation, your concerns will be addressed, your questions answered, and hopefully you will have all the education and information you need to make an informed decision.   Good Luck.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implant Safety

Despite being among the most thoroughly studied and rigorously tested medical devices on the market, myths surrounding the silicone gel breast implant persist. These devices are safe and durable. There is no link or association with any autoimmune disease. Silicone is biologically inert and even with shell rupture the gel and gel leakage (not an issue with the newest cohesive gel devices) there is no absorption. Additionally, the 5th generation devices in use today are significantly more durable than their predecessors (both shell and fill). The ultimate lifespan of these devices remains to be seen.

The rate  of complications of augmentation are relatively low and include bleeding, infection, seroma, wound healing/scarring issues, contracture and device failure. Save for the latter, these potential complications are unrelated to the device themselves.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Silicone breast implants

The NIH came out and stated that there was no evidence that ruptured silicone breast implants cause any systemic illness in women.  I use them all the time--I am 99% silicone.

Good luck!

Michael E. Decherd, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Yes, this is still a common question and there are one or two doctors who specialize in treatment of "silicone poisoning". There are thousands of doctors who have read through decades of research on hundreds of thousands of patients that clearly indicate there is no such disease. You may choose who to believe. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

NO health concerns with silicone implants

Thanks for your question. You are perfectly normal to be concerned about your health; especially as a mother, wife, etc. Doing something to regain your breast shape and restore your figure is extremely uplifting for patients. Silicone gel implants are absolutely safe devices. I would look at and feel both the Memory Gel (smooth round) and the Memory Shape (textured shaped) and see which one you prefer. In a very thin patient with minimal breast tissue, the Memory Shape device helps give shape to the breast because of its configuration, but it is a more firm implant. In my opinion the question should be WHICH silicone gel to get, not IF you should use silicone. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast implants

The breast implants are heavily studied. They have become the most studied medical devices in history. I have used silicone breast implant in virtually all of my breast cancer patients for the past 20 years. My breast cancer patients have not experience significant problems. I have had a growing now of patients with previous breast augmentations show up for a variety of reasons. The patients have asked me to remove their implants and the capsules around. These patients do better from a health standpoint after we have performed their surgery. I think that the issue will boil down to the technical aspects of the surgery. Problems exist after any implant surgery whether it is a hip, knee or breast implant.  Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for a consult.