How Common is Loss of Sensation After Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery?

Since giving birth vaginally a year ago, I've become loose. The entrance of my vagina is tight, but further back I can't feel anything during sex. I'm self conscious about the laxity, and no longer enjoy sex. I've researched LVR, and have read a loss of sensation in the vagina is a potential side effect of the procedure. Is this common? I'm only interested in tightening the inside of my vagina, no work on the outside, so I'll experience the same pressure and friction as before baby. Thank you!

Loss of sensation with vaginoplasty

Any surgical procedure can result in some loss of sensation particularly in the incision itself. However, it is extremely unlikely that you will lose any significant sensation in any of the erogenous zones, namely the g-spot and clitoris with the commonly performed posterior repair.

Loss of sensation with vaginoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Vaginal Rejuvenation and Sensation, Do You Lose Sensation or Not?

Vaginal rejuvenation is a general term for over a dozen procedures designed to either treat a lax vagina internally or change the external appearance. It's practically synonymous with vaginoplasty except that vaginoplasty is also done, slightly differently, for medical reasons. Sensation loss is sometimes experienced by women who undergo extensive and complex vaginoplasties for medical reasons - these women frequently have prolapse, loosening of the bladder and rectum and many other problems that require wide dissection of the vaginal skin that can divide many of the nerves to the vaginal skin. This is not a common problem with cosmetic vaginoplasties or vaginal rejuvenation where the extent of dissection is much less radical. From what you describe, you want a vaginoplasty the includes tightening of the levator muscles (Kegel muscles). Read all about it by following the web reference link below:

Sensation Loss After Vaginal Rejuvenation Variable

From what you are describing with regards to your complaints, this is really more than a straightforward vaginal rejuvenation.  Most vaginal rejuvenation involves tightening the opening to the vaginal canal by removing some excess tissue in the perineum ( the space between your vagina and rectum), and tightening the muscles there so that the opening is smaller.  This is the most common complaint when someone comes in for this type of surgery,because this is where most women derive their tactile sensation from ( the clitoral/labial area), not the internal vaginal walls.  When you are talking about the internal canal, this is a much more difficult procedure with regards to approach and healing, and has a higher risk, since now you are closer to internal structures, etc.  Overall, the rates of sensation loss should be low - around 1%.  I hope this helps.

BTL Ultrafemme 360

Depending on how extensive the laser is/how deep down it goes, there can always be complications that can occur.  One method that is less risky and highly effective uses radiofrequency for inside/out tightening. In addition, note that sometimes you can make the area tighter, but you still may have trouble having an orgasm.  This can be due to hormonal effects as we age and you may need hormone balancing.  In addition, there is something called the O-shot for enhanced orgasms and decrease in urinary incontinence.  Since every woman is different, after a good exam and consultation, you should be able to figure out the right options for you.  Good luck!

BTL Ultrafemme 360

Vaginoplasty or VaJaser

I would recommend starting with a laser or non-invasive treatment, once an examination is performed to make sure that there is no problem with internal organ prolapse (rectocele or enterocoele). The VaJaser is a CO2 laser that can tighten the mucosa, improve moisture, and does not change the appearance of the genitalia. 

Vaginoplasty or VaJaser

Functional vaginal rejuvenation after child birth

Have you considered non-surgical vaginal tightening? I use the geneveve treatment in my practice, which is radio frequency technology delivered with cryogen cooling. There is no discomfort during the procedure (about 30 minutes) and no downtime afterwards. The heating of the deep tissues stimulates collagen production, which results in vaginal tightening. This treatment is functional- it is not for improvement in the external appearance. Patients notice improved sensation during sex, decreases stress urinary incontinence (small amount of urinary leakage when coughing, sneezing, or laughing), and improved lubrication. 

You can, of course, opt for surgical vaginoplasty. The chance of noticeable sensation changes after surgery is extremely low. However, there is recovery of about four weeks involved.

Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Sensation after vaginal surgery

Although any surgery carries some risk of damage to nerves that provide sensation, it is rare from vaginal and labia procedures. 

Sensation after vaginal surgery

Loss of sensation after vaginal rejuvenation

Loss of sensation following Vaginal Rejuvenation (or vaginoplasty) is very rare. Anytime there's an incision in the skin, there's an approximately 1 in 1,000 risk of nerve injury. This is true whether you're having a face lift, a hysterectomy, or your gall bladder out. It would be very rare to see nerve injury and loss of sensation happen after vaginal rejuvenation performed by a surgeon with expertise in the field of cosmetic vaginal surgery.

Risk factors for loss of sensation are: women who smoke, or women who are over the age of 50. These risks will increase the chance of this happening, although it still remains very low.

When interviewing surgeons, make sure you chose one who has specialized training in cosmetic vaginal surgeries, along with endless before and after photos and patient testimonials.

Sensation

In my experience, sensation during sex improves after vaginal tightening surgery.... For both parties involved. However, when giving my patients an informed consent, I have to tell them that there is a small risk of decreased sensation, even if I've never had a patient that has had that happen.

Sensation

Vaginoplasty and sensation.

Vaginoplasty is done primarily to enhance sensation during sexual intercourse in women who have undergone vaginal delivery of their children. The chance of your having less sensation after this surgery is extremely rare barring any unusual complications.

Vaginoplasty and sensation.