2 weeks post breast augmentation and I have bruising under periareolar incision. Is it normal?

I had my breast aug October 1st. I had my implants placed peri areolar. I just noticed on my left breast only yellowish bruising. Is this normal for it to show up two weeks out? Its only below the nipple.

Patients will frequently have bruising under their incision following breast augmentation. It does not usually represent a problem.  Please check back with your doctor for follow up.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Bruising

it is ok to have bruising at this time postop.....  just keep an eye on the incision for a better evaluation. it is very early after your surgery, many things will improve with time and patience. if the worry continues, please send photos for a better evaluation.

Bruising

Some bruising is fairly common after any surgery. It is likely ok but if you have concerns, then see your surgeon.

Brushing after surgery

The appearance of a bruise weeks after surgery can occur as the blood gets closer to the surface of the skin. A yellowish color implies it is old and in the resolution phase.  Although the bruise can widen as it resolves, it should not bulge out or have increasing pain (which could imply new or continued bleeding). 

What you describe seems to be normal healing. 

Julian Gordon, MD

Hi... thank you for the question... Yes in some cases it is normal to have some bruising after a breast augmentation... 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It sounds as if it's a post surgery bruise. As long as you haven't noticed any other change such as increased pain or swelling in that breast, I wouldn't worry. However, if other changes occur, speak with your surgeon. Given that fact that the bruise is yellow, it should resolve itself quickly. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Thank you for your question.  Bruising can have a delayed appearance on the skin after surgery or trauma to the tissues.  After injections, for example, a patient may have a yellow bruise the following day, but after 2-3 days, a small purple area of bruising may be evident.  If it is only a faint yellow color, the bruise is likely resolving, and will disappear in the next couple of days. Hope that this helps.

Bruising appearing 2 weeks after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• It seems likely that your yellow bruising is from the surgery.
  • It may only now be becoming visible.
  • That said, it is important to always report to your own surgeon any changes that cause you concern.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation bruises

It is fairly common to have bruises around the periareolar incision, as a consequence of the mild trauma related to the insertion of the implant and/or the traction on the wound edges.
A yellow bruise is an old one, and does not indicate any active bleeding.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Yellow color under areola

The yellow color present below the incision is from blood that is being broken down by your body. It's from an old bruise. Nothing to worry about should dissipate another couple of days. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS